Sunday, August 15, 2010

Just Peachy


Well ain't that just peachy.  Our good friend Sci has decided to take a long weekend to take care of some business and get all lovey dovey with the hubby.  We will be awaiting your return and look forward to hearing about your adventures minus the lovey dovey. LOL  When Sci asked me to do a guest post for her I got a bit excited and a bit nervous all at the same time.  I mean this woman knows her prepping/ homesteading stuff, what could I possibly write about.   Then thought to myself peaches.

For many of us around the country peaches are ripening and the canners and recipes are out.  There is nothing like the sweet and juicy taste of the first peach of the season.  A few tidbits about peaches.  There is no need to refrigerate peaches as they will lose some of their flavor.  They can be stored at room temperature, but beware of the fruit flies.  On a more historical note, peaches originated in China eventually making it to the West.  I was doing some research on pie filling for this succulent fruit and was surprised to find that I could just can my peaches in light syrup and make the pie filling later.  This also works with store bought canned peaches.  I will share with you my new found recipes and briefly share with you how to can peaches.

To Can Peaches (Read Ball Canning Book as to How to Prep Your Jars and Lids or look on Internet)

Wash Peaches
Put in hot boiling water for 20-30 sec and put in bowl of ice cold water- this will help in removing the skins
Cut your peaches to desired size and sprinkle with ascorbic acid-found in the canning section of store
use 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups water-this makes a light syrup and you can make more of this syrup depending how many you are canning covering peaches
put peaches and syrup mixture on to boil
remove and put in jars and add liquid up to 1in. headspace
process quarts for 35 minutes, pints for 30

Peach Pie From Home Canned Peaches or Store bought Canned Peaches

Prepare your favorite pie crust or if your like me buy one from your grocers freezer
To prepare pie filling:

2-29oz cans of peaches or 1 quart homemade
2 Cups juice from peaches (you can add water to juice to make 2 cups)
1/4 cup of cornstarch
1/2 cup of sugar
1TBS of lemon juice
1/4 tsp of nutmeg

In large saucepan add sugar, cornstarch, and nutmeg
gradually stir in peach liquid and lemon juice
stir to dissolve cornstarch and put under med. heat
After mixture comes to a boil for one minute, it will thicken
remove from heat and add peaches- it will thin out a bit
Put pie filling into prepared pie crust and bake for1 hr. at 425 degrees
Top will be golden brown and bubbly from the juices
Enjoy warm with vanilla ice cream

I hope all of you are having bountiful harvests and for anything you do not grow, visit your local farmers market or road side stands.  And my thanks to Sci for allowing me to do a post on a such a fine blog.

In keeping with tradition here......

                                Hey... I'm just saying...

Shelly

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/deepdishpeaches.htm

2 comments:

  1. WooHoo!
    Way to go Shelly, excellent post, my friend.
    Thanks for the pie recipe. I have never tried my hand at a peach pie; after reading this, I may have to. :)

    Thanks Shelly!
    Hugs~Fel~

    ReplyDelete