Friday, October 9, 2009

How to Dehydrate Eggs


Kymbers from the Canadian Preppers Network asked me to post the How-to  For Dehydrate Eggs. And so this post is dedicated to her!


Dean from Az gave me the instructions for drying eggs. Thanks again Dean!


Just scramble the eggs like you would normally. Pull out your fruit roll up trays and pour the eggs onto the tray's.  I found mine hold 6 eggs per tray.
Then let them go till they are dry. I wasn't thinking and didn't turn up the temperature from the last time I had used it.  I didn't even think about it at the time. It might account for the almost orange tint to them.  They looked a little weird.

I remember hearing they should be dry in about 16 hours.  It took over 24 hours for them to get done.  Like I said, I think I just had the heat a little low.  These came out with a tiny bit of "oily" feel but I figured that was probably normal. 
I powdered mine in a blender and then placed them in a ziplock baggie. Then I put them in a canning jar and vaccum sealed them.(did I mention I love my FoodSaver... hehe)

One thing I am sure of is that I will be doing more eggs!  When SHTF I can see them being  very good thing to have in my food storage. They are an excellent source of protein too.  I love scrambled eggs.  A personal comfort food.  Omelets also come to mind.  Not to mention the fact that you can used them for baking and such.  They will also work for other things that you would like to dredge in egg before cooking.
I am keeping an eye on the ones I have put up now as an experiment.  Hey, after no refrigeration, they are still good about two weeks later.  

I now see that I have no excuse to have my dehydrator idle.  
Eggs are cheap here now.  I might as well take advantage of that while I still can.  I need to find some more trays so I can do more than 1 dozen at a time. 

  I'm moving into 24/7 mode now!!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

18 comments:

  1. SciFi - thanks so much for this! when i read your post the other day, i did some searches on the internet about dehydrating eggs. but i am one of those people who don't trust online recipes and such and would much prefer to "know" someone and get their recipe from them.

    i won't be dehydrating eggs this weekend as it is Canadian Thanksgiving and i will be too busy eating turkey and stuffing and cranberry-ginger-pear sauce...and smashed potatoes and brussel sprouts and walnuts, honeyed carrots and about 6 litres of gravey!!! but the following weekend i will give the eggs a run in the dehydrator!

    did Dean tell you how long dehyrdated eggs will keep?

    again - thanks for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so you don't even cook them? I haven't seen how long they last. Sounds like something I'll try once my "girls" get to laying again. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did up a couple of dozen egg's about 3 month's ago.I don't have a vacuum sealer,so I just poured the powder into half pint jar's and put them on the shelf.Still look good,dry,and nothing fuzzy on them!
    Dean in az

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dean - this is a great way to store eggs!

    SciFi, Dean - how do you rehydrate them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the method I read,it was 1 teaspoon powder to 1 teaspoon water equalled 1 egg,but if Sci used 2 water,try that!
    Dean in az

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scifi;
    I see how good your getting at dehydrating,maybe you can help me! Living in arizona with bad soil and no rain this year,I'm lucky to grow anything,much less what I like.I usually buy frozen veggie's to dehydrate,but I'm so overloaded with mixed veggie's,I decided to try some different thing's.I "assume" all the frozen veggie's are pre blanched,maybe I'm wrong.
    I bought a few pound's of stir fry stuff,with broccoli and cauliflower.The broccoli rehydrated nicely,but the cauliflower turned a tea brown color.Probably ok,but ugly..any clue?
    Dean in az

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, first, thanks for you kind words Dean. I have not done cauiliflower yet, but from what I have read it will turn dark when dried but will return to its white color when it is rehydrated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK -I know I am just finding this post 8 months after the fact....But, I am wondering did you use the entire egg? Then scramble it? Cook it? Or just egg whites?
    I have purchased whole powered eggs and they are a orangish color...

    Thanks..
    Melissa
    www.kidsandcanningjars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Savings Queen- thanks for stopping by. Better late than never right? I did use the whole egg. I did not cook first, just beat the eggs well and poured into roll-up trays. Thanks for reminding me! It's time for an update post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting your results. I just bought a commercial brand, OVA Easy, in order to try them out (they were Excellent by the way!) and I noticed that they had a strong orange tint to them similar to what you experienced. I'm looking forward to trying my own and use them on backpack trips. Now I just need to decide on what dehydrator I want!

    Scoutleader

    ReplyDelete
  11. so i am curious.... and brought out my dehyrdrater today after being in a cabinet for about 5 years. I've only dehyrdrated a few fruits and made some jerky. Today i am trying to dehyrdrate bacon for a snack for my dog being that she's allergic to most dog treats. What recipe would u use a dehyrdrate egg for. Trying to step outside my box and cook a little more.. Also never thought when making a stir fry to use anything other than fresh veggies. So ur dehydrating them and then.... Pull out the cabinet when ready to cook??? Sorry i may sound a little elementary but like i said just now trying to step outside the box and cook in a more cost effective way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You said they last for 2 weeks? Do you base that on anything else than trying yourself? Have you tried them after 3 or 4 weeks? I am into dehydrating eggs as well, mainly for camping, but I am unsure for how long they will keep.

    In case you are interested, here is how I dehydrate and cook my eggs: http://www.thefoodmethod.com/2012/07/how-to-bring-eggs-camping_19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Anna, I can now report that they are still good almost three years later. I have kept them in a cool dark place in a vacuum sealed container during this time. Still as good as they were back when I made this post. Not bad, huh?

      Delete
  13. Thanks for responding! Wow. That almost sounds too good to be true. :-) I thought that something that contained fat would have a shorter shelf-life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No problem. I'm actually glad you asked. I had to go to my egg stash and make sure it was still good once you asked. I'm pretty impressed with how long they have lasted. I'm sure the trick is the vacuum sealing for long term storage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. But what if you don't have a vacuum sealer? The size of my living area makes it difficult to invest in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Anna, I guess you could just put them in a canning jar with a good lid and store them in a cool dark place. I'm sure they probably wouldn't last as long but they woud still last several months.. maybe even a year? I don't know...Travel the egg path at your own risk as I've said before.

      Delete
    2. Hello, I read about your dehydrated eggs on another blog :-) What temp would you suggest on my dehydrator? Thanks! Dave from WY

      Delete