Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Slow Cooker Rabbit Stew and DIY Onion Soup Mix

It is an absolutely beautiful day here!  Not a chem trail in the sky!  Real clouds too!  You know the ones. Remember as a kid laying on your back and watching the clouds.  Seeing all sorts of things in the clouds?  Look.... that one looks like an elephant!  Oh, see the face in that cloud?  I miss those days.  Spring winds gently blowing.  The warmth of the sun on your face.  The whole world around you blooming with new leaves and flowers....
Anyway, I digress (are you surprised yet? )
 First let me start by saying that mama bunny is still here with us. Don't want  to freak anyone out yet...lol
I've had a couple of people asking about that Slow Cooker Rabbit Stew recipe.  This is one of those really easy ones that come right out of your food storage. I like it because I can use either fresh vegetables in the summer or use my dehydrated veggies in the winter.

Slow Cooker Rabbit Stew
Let me preface this recipe by saying that I have no actual amounts of anything.  Just use as many veggies to fill your crock pot. Does this mean this isn't really a recipe?  LOL I don't know...

Slow Cooker Rabbit Stew

1 Rabbit cut in pieces  (its not gonna fit in there any other way guys)
Potatoes- cubed
Carrots- cut in pieces
(insert  other veggies if you like here)
2 Beef Bouillon cubes 
Dry onion soup mix   (DIY recipe to follow)
Garlic powder to taste
Salt and pepper
Place the rabbit in the crock pot and pour the Onion Soup Mix over it.  A little garlic powder and the salt and pepper next.   Put your veggies in on top.  Dissolve bouillon cubes in warm water and add to the pot. Cover the veggies with water.  Set your crock pot on low and give it several hours.  (I use this for tough rabbits)
Grab a bowl... a spoon and dig in!

DIY Onion Soup Mix

3/4 cup instant minced onion   (I dry my own onions so that's what I use )
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder 
1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
 1/4 teaspoon sugar



Store in an airtight container.


About 5 tablespoons of mix are equal to 1 1¼-ounce package
To make onion dip: Mix 5 tablespoons with one pint of sour cream

And there ya have it folks...  I think I'm gonna go look for elephants in the clouds.....

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes ... especially the onion soup mix. When I was reading the recipe, I was thinking what a great onion dip it would make, and then, you gave a recipe for that - must have read my mind ... :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just processed one of my less productive does (she never kindled more than 3 kits in any of her 5 litters, so we culled her out). I am going to try this recipe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete