Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Potato In A Bag Experiment


IT IS HOT!! Looks like we are into the 100+ degree days again. The forecast is calling for the next 7 days to be 100+. And so, without a doubt, summer is all over us!

Well the Potato In A Bag Experiment has come to and end for the summer. My neighbors plants looked wonderful. Healthy growth. They bolted last week and so we dumped the bag and this is what she got. I don't know if it was due to drainage issues or if the potato's were Genetically modified. She planted some she got from the grocery store. I haven't given up yet though. I will be trying to located some seed potato's tomorrow.

I have been giving my dehydrator a work out! I love that thing! I have put up more strawberries. I tried my hand at cantaloupe and was surprised at how good they are. I've done a whole load of banana chips. Yummy!! And right now I have a load of tomato's in there working. I figured what the heck! We'll see how they come out. I want to try drying potato's but am waiting till I can catch them at a good price as I will have to purchase them. (insert a big sigh here)

I am bound and determined to try again with the bag idea. Dang it, it SHOULD work! I have another idea I would like to try and that is growing strawberries in a kiddie pool. The hubster tends to think it would work out great and he's pretty smart with the garden. Does anyone else think this will work?

The kitten's have emerged from under the trailer. They are sooo CUTE! A total of 4 girls and one boy.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

  1. Scifi, An excellent book is "Making and Using Dried Foods" by Phyllis Hobson. It even tells how to dehydrate meats. I bought mine used at Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scifi, An excellent book is "Making and Using Dried Foods" by Phyllis Hobson. It even tells how to dehydrate meats. I bought mine used at Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were some videos posted on American Preppers forum and they are very helpful! I think it was "dehydrating 101"

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck finding potatoe seeds - if i had any left i would send them to you! there has got to be somewhere around to get some more???

    as for the kiddie pool - my goodness we think alike! last year i grew lettuce and chinese greens and spinach in the kiddie pool (make sure to cut out alot of drainage holes before filling with dirt). this year i am growing 24 tomatoes in the kiddie pool - so far it is working out really well as we built a cage all around the pool. so do the strawberries in the pool and let us know how it works!

    so next on my list of copy-catting you - i need a deydrator too - bahahaha! glad to hear that you are enjoying it so much!

    and those kittens are so cute - i want some!!!

    ReplyDelete