Sunday, April 27, 2014

Yup, It's Sunday


It's pouring rain right now.  I'm glad I got up early enough to put the new potted seeds out of the weather.  Last year I had a whole tray of seedlings (tiny ones) that were left out in the rain and the entire tray pretty much washed away.

Oh wow- now it's hailing.  I hope it doesn't tear up the plants.  I wouldn't want to cry like John Milandred over a few plants. I've never seen a grown man cry like that before over some plants that can and were easily replaced. *snork*

Anyways......It looks like a day off today.  Well outside anyway. A real familiar line from every restaurant I've ever worked comes to mind though.  "You have time to lean you have time to clean".  I wish I had a penny for every time I heard that one. Today I'm going to enjoy the rain and do a little reading instead.

Gladys Kravitz the rabbit had her babies night before last.  I've got no idea how many just yet.  I don't want to go digging around in there much. There's life in there though because all the hair she pulled is moving around!

The Psycho Demon rabbit tried to "rush" me yesterday (again) so I popped her on top of her furry head with the plastic feed scoop(again)  She must have no idea that she is making sure she doesn't land on the No Kill list. Now that I know I have some good breeders I'm having to make some choices. There's no need for four does. I've already gone through 50 lbs of feed and I've had to go to the feed store and get another half a bag of rabbit pellets to finish out the month on.  With the new babies I'll have to up the amount I pick up to double at the first of the month.

I've been checking on the chicken's that are setting. I've found that where there used to be 15 eggs they were sitting on there are now 0. I'd guess some sort of snake had made it his dinner stop again.  Mars killed the one that was actually eating the baby chicks last year. Bad news is no chicks this year.  Good news is the hens should start laying again soon. If it's not one thing its another. *sigh*

The garden's doing ok so far.  Other than the fact that I have run out of room for all the things I wanted to plant that is.  Mar's has the lower garden planted in beans and corn sort of like the 3 sister method without the squash.  I've still got to find a spot for some spinach and some odds and ends.  Some of the pepper plants I picked up and planted didn't make it.  Something ate the entire stems off a few of them. I'll get some D.E. put out there as soon as it dries up enough to get out there. I haven't decided if I'll just replace the peppers or use the space for something else.


 Well it looks like the rain has stopped and I really should get busy with that book and a cat nap. .
Maybe I'll make some cookies...Coffee's on the stove!
Ya'll have a Super Day!
Sci


12 comments:

  1. That's really strange about your eggs... We gave up on corn this year. Way too many 'coons out here willing to try all of it to find what they like best. We planted potatoes and onions so far. Working on watermelon hills, but not in yet. Had to let the area dry and now it's fixing to rain again.
    Glad whatever made the hail mostly missed you!
    Remember you can substitute pumpkins for squash and pumpkin is good for your chickens! (Not to mention pumpkin pie...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaG I'm pretty sure it's not a coon although around here most anything could happen. All the pen that's fenced we extended out the bottom and covered it to keep stuff like this from happening. I've checked all over the coop and the pen and can't find any signs of a furry critter getting in there. I'm on high alert now and am hoping to catch whatever it is.
      We are yellow squash lovers here but I do like pumpkin. Last fall we got a really early blast of cold that pretty much killed all the squash and pumpkin. We salvaged 3 pumpkins and I put them up in the freezer. To be honest I've only used two bags of it so far.
      Take care,
      Sci

      Delete
  2. SCI,

    Thank God the weather calmed down and wasn't as bad as predicted. I'm glad you and Mars just got some good rain and hail. We were prepared, just like last May. Now it's beautiful out, a bit windy, and the sun is shining. The rest of the week is suppose to be beautiful.

    Have you watched for racoons? You may have one stealing your eggs.

    Stay safe, and dry :-)
    Sending hugs to you and Mars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I was thinking about you this morning and wondering how you guys were. I think if I were you I'd be freaking out every time something like this rolled through last year. Glad you guys are safe.
      I've never seen a coon out here (yet) just possums. Not to say that they aren't around though. B.B. circles the whole place all night long. How do I know? Cause she barks all night long!lolll
      Glad you guys are safe.
      Sci

      Delete
  3. Rain is good, storms not so good. Glad it didn't get worse for you. They did have tornado warnings up for quite a few states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dizzy! I'm glad it was short lived. We got some nice rain and it only hailed for about 5 minutes. One thing I sure was worried about before it got here was the tornado warnings. We don't have a storm cellar but the neighbors right down the hill do and they've let us know that if we need to we can hunker down there with them.
      Sci

      Delete
  4. I don't know if your pepper plants were hot peppers, but around here the land tortoises and turtles totally love hot peppers. They are the only thing that bother my hot peppers. (I kind of think it's funny, but I don't eat a lot of hot peppers, so it doesn't bother me much.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristy, most of them were hot peppers but "it" also got to the bells. I've never heard of turtles liking hot peppers! We don't see many turtles around here. (other than a couple of flat ones in the middle of the road)

      Delete
  5. Skunks will eat corn (I waited up one night till 2am to catch what I thought was going to be a raccoon) and love chicken eggs. Any chance that's what you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen, I wish I knew. When Mars put up the wire for the pen he buried it underground for about a foot to keep critters out. It puzzles me because my dog B.B. runs patrol all night long (barking the whole time it seems) There aren't many critters that come out but it's always possible I guess.
      Sci

      Delete
  6. No matter what got the eggs, it seems strange there were no cracked shells laying in the nests - unless the hens ate them. But no signs of a disturbance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joy I have no idea. I've still got one hen sitting but I'm not even sure she's got eggs under her anymore. And now another one has gone broody and is sitting on her eggs in the corner of the coop where she dug herself a little nesting spot. I'm at a loss. If it is a critter I'm just not sure what kind it is.
      Sci

      Delete