Thursday, April 17, 2014

Just Do It

I really have to wonder how long it will take me to get a grip on the seasons here. So far the springs that we've spent here have all been really different from year to year.  Of course being from the Texas Hill country just having to wait until at least the middle of April to plant most things is pretty unnatural to me.  There really isn't much down there that can't be started by mid-March whereas here in the NE part of Oklahoma the only things you are pretty safe in getting in the ground are things like broccoli and cabbage and onions.

 Year before last we had a really early spring and had all sorts of things started that went on to do real well.  Last year we were chomping at the bit and hand quite a bit planted planted around the end of March and the first part of April.  It was also the year that we had one of those late frosts that surprised everyone by happening twice in the first week of May.  By that time I'd already had the tomatoes set out.  We were able to cover all the tomatoes by paying attention to the weather forecasts and didn't loose any.  This year is yet again a different story.  I'd planted 32 or so tomatoes a week ago.  Up pops a freeze warning Monday night and Tuesday morning.  So we drug out all the coffee cans, butter dishes, and odd and end planters to cover the tomatoes again on Monday afternoon anticipating the freeze.  It must have gotten quite a bit colder than the forecast called for because we lost every single one of the tomato plants.  It almost made me sick to my stomach.  I had bought the tomato plants and they had been in the ground for a few days. I'm not sure which hurt worse, the loosing of the tomato plants or having felt like all that money was just wasted.  Granted it was only about $12.00 but it's money that we can't spend again until the first of the month.  If  I don't do it though  we won't have tomatoes this summer.  Another thought I had was that if I want to have late summer/fall tomatoes from seed it's time to get those seed started in the greenhouse in a few days.  I don't mind that since I was going to do it anyway. Learning from last year there are a few things I need to make more of and some I don't need to make nearly as much of.  And of course there is always something new I'd like to try my hand at. Anyway....  it looks like I'll have to jiggle the money around and pick up some more plants after the first of the month.

 Stuff happens!  It's the perfect example of why I don't advocate buying those ready-made seed vaults.  If you think that having one put back in your preps with the thought that if SHTF I'll just grow a garden and you've never gardened before, you are deluding yourself. First off many seeds will loose their viability after a year or two.  Some may be good a bit longer but it's not something I would want to be counting on in an emergency situation.  Along with that there can be quite a learning curve in growing a garden. Trust me, every year can vary wildly from the year before. The more you do it the better chance you have of having a good garden.  Besides that, folks don't always think about the time from planting to harvesting averages out to at least a couple of months for many vegetables. Even then there are no guaranties that you'll have food from the garden.

So this year, if you've never tried planting a garden why not start now? Don't have a space for a garden?  Why not try growing in containers?  Do you like fresh salads?  Pick up a cherry tomato plant to grow on your patio.  Start some lettuce in a flower pot.  Maybe plant a cucumber plant in a five gallon bucket. I like to call them  salad gardens. Besides there is just something special about eating something you grew yourself.

28 comments:

  1. Yes life gives one all kinds of surprises. We are having a warmer spring and it makes you itch to get out and garden but we don't dare. This last Sunday I got up to 20 degrees. That wasn't supposed to be but it was. Planting time is May for us and thats just the cold weather stuff if we're lucky. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, you've been at this long enough to trust your instincts! I wanna be like you when I grow up :- )*wink*

      Delete
  2. Sci - i am so sorry that you lost all your tomatoe plants - that really sucks! but yes, get out in the greenhouse and plant some from seed and then when you have the money to replace the plants, do that, too. as for your advice on learning how to grow things and practice now, before SHTF, that's the best advice you can give anyone! learning when to plant, how much to plant, how to succession plant, what to do if you get a freak freeze, learning when stuff bolts - all of that takes years to learn. i feel sorry for anyone who thinks they are just gonna chuck some seeds on the ground and have food. it takes a lot of practice and learning.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kymber you know I'll roll with the flow and get some more planted. It's just that sort of thing that I should have (but didn't) stressed. You can't just toss out seed/plants and expect the perfect garden to just "happen". I just hate it when I get caught off guard because I apparently didn't learn that lesson the last time around.. It does make a very real point though. Even if you think you know what the heck you are doing... trust Murphy to play the ace of spades!

      Delete
  3. Yes, best advice is to garden starting now, this season. We've been in Florida for 10 years and even here it's different each year. Last 2 weeks have been about 10 degrees cooler than normal . Did put off the germination of my peppers. You need to keep some records of dates planted and especially what varieties. Have never failed with Contender green beans but the Tasti-lee tomato which has been bred for Florida is not a winner in my container garden.
    Our local library had 2 Master Gardeners manning a table and answering questions. Both of them were surprised that we garden year round. Most people only garden from Sept thru April here in SW Florida They didn't have any advice for us on lettuce varieties that would stand up to our heat and humidity. They call themselves Master Gardeners and have been thru a rather lengthy training period. So keeping your own records may be your best bet for good info on gardening in your particular location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen, I can't stress just how much keeping a garden journal helps. What's up with the Master Gardeners? You would think they could figure out year round planting down there where you are. My dad gardens year round too. He's just a tad north of Galveston bay. This time of year he likes to mess with me about how nice his tomatoes look.

      Delete
  4. SCI,

    Oh no, I'm sorry you lost all of your tomatoes, we lost 4 tomato plants. We obviously didn't get those tomato plants covered enough. Plus I believe the weatherman didn't know what the heck they were talking about.

    Everyone should garden, even if you don't have property. Like you mentioned, use some pots on your porch. Create a salad garden. The funny thing is you can cut your lettuce each time you need it from the pot, and it will continue to grow providing you with a beautiful salad each and every time. And if you don't have pots, recycled buckets, cans, butter dishes, milk cartons all work really well.

    Keep us the fabulous work you do in your garden, I know you'll have plenty of tomatoes real soon.

    Hugs to you and Mars!!!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy,
      I'm so glad that you "only" lost 4 plants. And honestly... the weatherman didn't give us any heads up. (well two days but with all the technology they have now I figure they should have seen this one coming) I wish I could put all the blame on the weatherman but I shouldn't have planted a week earlier than the ok ag ext recommends. I hope I learned my lesson this time.
      It actually ties into "everyone should garden" and the steep learning curve I've been talking about.

      Delete
  5. Texas is really a great state for gardeners because of the weather. Most of the time! Still, this year is really crazy with the weather, so who knows what will happen?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, Texas is truly a great gardening state. (Something my dad enjoys poking fun at me about) It's really been a long long winter around here. I was willing to flip the coin and lost this time. Another lesson learned for sure.

      Delete
  6. That really stinks that you lost all of your tomatoes. For once my being so far behind in getting everything done has paid off; I had just replanted my starts in larger container and they were still under the grow light inside. Who knew we'd have frost in APRIL. Good grief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love it when you think you're way behind the eightball and come up flush!! I'm happy for you that you still had your plants in the house! I came up short by only a couple of days and I'd have missed the dang freeze. This just goes to show you that it doesn't matter how much we think we know, there is always a lesson to be learned. Good Luck on your garden this year!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in SE Oklahoma and learned a long time ago to wait until after Easter for any warm weather plants. We always have a cool spell around Easter and during blackberry winter. The dew berries are blooming and some blackberries are starting to bloom here. My potatoes got bit back by the cold weather that got your tomatoes but I didn't have any tomatoes out yet. I plan to start planting tomatoes, peppers, beans etc. soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is a blackberry winter? Sounds interesting. I haven't seen any dewberries since we've moved out here. I try to keep my eyes open for them though as I just love them. Sooner or later I'll learn about early planting! I do know I'll not be setting out any more tomatoes until after Easter. :-)

      Delete
    2. Blackberry winter is a cool spell we have when the blackberries bloom. Sometimes it might be cold enough to freeze and sometimes not but seem to always have cooler weather when the blackberries bloom.

      Delete
  9. Sci, It's what you learn not do and checking your assumptions that seems the hardest for me. I always sort of sucked with plants but I'm going on my 5th year of gardening raised beds getting better and I still consider myself a newbie. I buy some plants and considering the cost of veggies now a days if I get a pound or two and/or learn a bit more about gardening at $2.50 a plant I'm ahead of the game.

    Did the 30 minute dinner rolls and while it took me 45 minutes total they turned out great! I used the dough hook to knead the rolls about 3 minutes before the final 10 minute rest. If you are doing the rolls by hand you should double the time spent kneading the dough if you want fast rolls. I will be trying out this recipe but shaping hamburger and hot dog buns. I think it will be perfect for those and a huge money saver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure are right about the learning. The assuming part is what will get me in trouble every time. I suppose I hadn't even thought of comparing the cost of a plant vs the vegetable returns! I like that!!
      Good suggestion on the those rolls. I think you are onto something using that recipe for hamburger or hotdog buns. Sometimes we'll want burgers sort of at the last minute. These would be great for those "spur of the moment" meals!

      Delete
  10. I have lived in the N.E Oklahoma for 14 years and N.W. Arkansas for 30 and these past few springs are really not typical...they are weird...This year I am waiting until the first of May to plant anything...Used to it was safe to plant after April 15th...that is how it was for as long as anyone around here can remember...things are just not right lately in lots of ways...Sorry you lost your plants but at least its still early and not all is lost, you will still be able to get tomatoes...just a couple weeks later than you had hoped for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your insight on the danged springs here. I thought it was strange that most of the information that I could find online used the April 15th date for the last freeze. It's just not worth starting over anymore so next year I'll try to wait till at least Easter, (It's just SO HARD to wait) I hear you about things not "being right here lately" Boy do I ever!
      You're right, heck all I lost were a few tomatoes and there is still time to replace them. No worries, I just hate getting bit by the danged weather!
      Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  11. we are not safe until very late May up here is Saskatchewan from frost so I envy your growing seasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denis, I sure don't know how you do it. I could never ever live that far north! I think you guys are really tough to be able to handle that much cold!

      Delete
  12. Ohhhhh noooo.....so sorry bout hearing this news! I do hope we don't have more freezes this year....looking forward to getting mine in the ground. My greenhouse/storage/laundry room is getting out of hand!
    I pray that God Blesses Your Garden and do hope the remainder of the year is successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ your plants everywhere!! I should have done the same thing! Thanks for the good wishes. I hope this year we ALL have successful gardening. With prices raising almost daily it seems, we are going to really need a good garden.

      Delete
  13. Every time the ground starts to dry out enough to turn it, we have another big storm come up out of the gulf and flood everything. Had one last night. But surely summer is coming and then we will just have thunderstorms in the evenings, not enough to stop me from trying to garden again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the "wash out" so far on the garden so far. I've been looking forward to seeing how you do. Its been a strange weather year so far for most everyone it seems. I'm really hoping we have seen the last of the cold weather for awhile bur I'm in NO hurry to see summer roll around. LOL

      Delete
    2. Dang I just re=read that comment and had to laugh. See what I get for trying to type before I've had my coffee????

      Delete
  14. Spring is tough - you're so ready to get things in the ground NOW! I have been trying to hold back (having had a similar experience with tomatoes) and only put in onions and beets. I know it's better up here to wait until mid-May to really start. Very good advice about gardening. It sure isn't something you can just pick up right at the get-go.

    ReplyDelete