Friday, April 11, 2014

What a Week!

It's hard to believe it's been almost a week since I was here last.  We've been having some awesome weather despite the dang wind.  Already I feel like I'm way behind.  The garden has been the focus for most of the week.  I've been pulling weeds to get ready to plant and Mars is getting all the drip-lines in working order.  Maybe next winter we could cover the rows to keep the weeds out. I don't have a clue if that would work so I'll have to do a little research. We've got our purple hull peas in the ground.  Since they are one of our favorite legumes we decided to do an entire row.  The potatoes are in the ground too.  I've got a few onions in the ground but still need to plant the other two sets.
   Mars has been wanting Celebrity tomatoes but we could never find them here.  He came home with 24 plants.  I really wanted to plant some tomatoes that are indeterminate. The Celebrity's are determinate.  Anyway, they are planted now.  I found some indeterminate  heirlooms and picked up eight of them.  Got home and ready to plant them when I took the plant info stick and realized that what I thought were the heirlooms the dang things were Celebrity. *sigh*  I was going to take them back and exchange them but Mars told me to  go on and plant them.  Not like we don't have the room for them.  Long story short (yeah right) I now have 32 Celebrity tomatoes and 8 of the heirlooms in the ground. I'm sure I'll be regretting it in a couple of months. 
We are now on track with the rabbits after pretty much replacing all the older ones.  I can't remember if I told you about the new buck.  He's a black New Zealand!  I never knew they were any color than white!  He's also the daddy of 6 baby bunnies! 
 
 A little while back I had put Rabbit #3 with him.  He was willing and able so I walked to the other side of the barn and all the sudden there was major turmoil. I turned the corner and the doe was trying to kick his butt. Without thinking I stuck my hand in there to grab her and danged if I didn't get bit! I grabbed her and took her back to her home.  It seemed like she just got really mean after that.
 
  Well yesterday morning I went to feed and found her pulling hair.  That's a real tip off that she's getting ready to have babies. It also explains why all the sudden I had a demon bunny on my hands.

I've only got one nesting box so I had to move Little Mama and her babies to another cage, cleaned it out and got up the nerve to move the Psycho Rabbit. Mars is finally going to get to eat rabbit after almost 3 years.   So now we wait... 


There is still one row in the upper garden to weed and all of the lower garden to do.  So if you don't hear from me for awhile I've probably keeled over in the garden.  Face down and covered with weeds!

17 comments:

  1. Isn't spring great! Weeds and gardens, there is just nothing like it. If you do keel over, enjoy the rest and the view. We know you will be back up and at it before long. (-:

    Fern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks for the reminder. It seems like I always have this feeling this time of year. It looks like we'll be getting another freeze come Monday. Tomorrow I'll start collecting all kinds of things to cover all those tomatoes. I would sure hate to loose them at this point. I'm also going to take the time to enjoy the view!

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about getting back into rabbits. There are a few articles out there on growing and /or mixing your own rations that interest me. It might be healthier and who knows when prepared rations will get too expense or unavailable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to figure out a way to feed the rabbits without the help of rabbit feed from the feed store. As for the prepared rations they are already getting expensive. Beef of any kind is almost out of reach already. I'm just seriously glad we've finally got the breeding down. It's taken alot more time than it should have though. Live and learn is a favorite motto of mine!

      Delete
  3. "Psycho Bunny" made me laugh out loud, as did the pic' of your puppers in the hat. Thanks, needed the smiles today. Too funny.

    Now, what is the difference between determinate and indeterminate plants? I know, I know - I could go and look it up on Google, and then appear to be all smart and what not, but I like the way you explain things better. :) I hope you don't mind, but it's true.

    And as Frank and Fern said "If you keel over, enjoy the rest and the view." heehee [that made me laugh too.]

    Have a great one my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got a good laugh at that dang rabbit! I'm still reluctant to open her new door to even put her feed out. She clawed at me today. If she's not careful she could be psycho bunny stew.
      The difference in determinate and indeterminate goes kind of like this. Determinate tomatoes will pretty much do their "thing" and then it's over. An indeterminate will continue to produce until the first frost.(or something like that)

      Isn't that just the greatest comment? I laughed out loud too when I read it. Kind of like stop and smell the roses.
      Have yourself a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sci-Fi! So glad your weather is better! You reminded me of a very important vegetable we love and I need to plant: purple hull peas. Thanks for the reminder! Happy Gardening! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How in the world could you forget the peas!! They truly are a staple around here. We had pretty good luck with them last year with a half a row. This year they're getting a whole row to themselves. Some folks call it a southern thing and I'm pretty sure they are right. Girl, I just love a mess of peas, a slice of good onion and some cornbread. Woo Hoo!!! That's some good sutff.
      Thanks for stopping by. It

      Delete
  5. Hi Sci, Black plastic works great for killing weeds and the seeds, it cooks them. I live in WI and it works here so I'm sure it would work really well by you. Put in down in fall and pick up in spring I weight it down with some rocks. Determinate tomato plants only grow to certain size, indeterminate keep growing and producing. Sometimes mine get 6 feet tall and can spread out really far. You really need to have lots of stakes! I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input. At this point I'd sure be willing to try the plastic. It would sure take a bunch though to cover all these rows. And now Mars is talking about adding four more rows. *sigh* Thanks for the explanation for the tomatoes. You said it much better than I did. We've got a newish idea about staking out the plants this year and I'm curious how it will work.
      Thanks for stopping by. Cookies are in the cookie jar and there's coffee on the stove.Stop by any time!

      Delete
  6. Funny! Psycho bunny. I have weeds everywhere, but since we're finishing our bathroom remodel, it's on a back burner for now. Just mow, and do the worst. Next 2 weeks it'll be major garden work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL those weeds will be there when you finish the remodel. I'd guess you still have some time before major garden work begins. out there.

      Delete
  7. SCI,

    Oh common now........we know you just wanted to find any reason to play in the dirt.....planting tomatoes.......sure, good excuse!!!!!

    Glad to hear your out planting tomatoes, can't get enough of those babies.

    I hear come Tuesday morning were expecting a freeze. I have my plastic ready along with my buckets to cover everything we've planted. Be careful!!!
    Certain areas of OK will have snow, can you believe that?

    Speaking of drip system, were adding to the garden this weekend. I needed to go to the farm store to pickup more flat hose.

    So Psycho Bunny is going to have babies, congrats!!!!

    Sending hugs to you and Mars
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandy!
      I think I may have lost my mind planting so many again this year. Last year ..... well ... It' about kicked my butt.
      This is some crazy weather for sure. I hadn't heard abou the snow prospects though. I'm going to gather up all the coffee cans, planters, and buckets I can find today just to be ready. Our area is calling for a low of 33* so down here on the side of the hill we'll probably see it down to at least 32* or a bit colder. Here I've been wearing shorts for days now. I'll have to go back to pants again. I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to this weather.
      I saw your set up with the tape. I love that stuff. IIt's made such a difference for us.There's no way we'd have nearly the garden we have now.
      I'm beginning to wonder about Psycho Bunnie again. Since I moved her she's stopped pulling hair but was picking up straw for the nest. I didn't write down the date for her to kindle but it should be soon with the way she's acting.
      Hugs to you and yours! Happy Saturday.
      Sci

      Delete
  8. You're staying busy there. I notice lots of people are working on their gardens. I guess I should go rent a roto tiller. We are going to try to have a garden again. Tried it a few years back and the woods creatures came at night and devoured it. Or, pooped on it in the case of the wild hogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I roll out weedblock and plant right through it. It's got small perforations that allow water through, but is dark enough that weeds don't grow underneath it. I also use hog panels and t-posts to create a trellis for climbers like cucumbers and pole beans. Maximizes garden space.

    Gary Anthony
    MSgt, USAF, Ret.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you have been busy...do hope the freeze didn't get your new plants! We ended up having to cover the new trees and such before ours came....will uncover everything today.
    The bunny business looks like it is coming along....do hope for great success!
    Well off to read some more...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete