Monday, April 4, 2011

Wood Stove and Canning Jars

I don't know how to tell you just how amazed I am at the things that you can find on Craigslist.  We have been keeping an eye on it lately looking for things that we need for the new place.  Dare I call the new place The Homestead?  Ya know, I think I will!  I think it qualifies as such for us.  Anyway....
     Mars spotted an ad for a woodburning stove on Craigslist.  Now I know that someone is going to be wondering what in the world we would do with a wood-burning cookstove living in an RV.  But (there is always a but,right?)  It is something that we both have been wanting for quite awhile.   Besides, I have plans, remember?  LOL
     The stove was posted right here in the town we live in.  It was listed as a 6 burner wood cookstove and
was in good working order.  The ad said $300.00 OBO (or best offer) so I gave the lady a call and set up a time to go and look at it.
     She's an older lady and from what all I could gather she is also a prepper.  She just doesn't know it!  We talked for a bit and Mrs  M and I checked out the stove. The lady said she had been using it until a few years ago. The stove is in good shape but needs some serious cleaning done. The top's kind of rusty but NOT rusted out anywhere.  It is missing the "lid lifter" and a door handle. With a bit of elbow grease it will be a fine stove.  We dickered on the price for a little bit and finally came to an agreement.  I am now the proud owner of a$225.00  wood stove!
   Wait!  If you thought that was a good deal... It gets better.... We got to talking about canning.  Turns out she had boxes and boxes of canning jars that she wanted to get rid of.  They all  had had food in them that she tossed out but never got around to washing them.  I asked her how much she wanted for them.   She told me that she would give them to me if I wanted to wash them.  Well, of course I said "Oh, well that wouldn't be a problem".   The whole time we are talking I am trying not to jump up and down and hug and kiss her!  End count on the canning jars.... 20 dozen. 
     I wanted to take a picture of the stove while it was all still in one piece but I didn't have the camera with me.  The dang thing is heavy.  Mars and our neighbor had to take it apart to be able to get it loaded.  I'll post some pictures of it soon and then I'll put some more up when we get it all cleaned up and put back together. 


  Oh, one more thing, The sweet little old lady's last name ... Angel.

~~~~  Hey ... I'm Just Sayin' ... ~~~~

16 comments:

  1. oooooooooh! I am so, so excited for you. Wow it just keeps getting better! A great deal on the stove and so many jars, for free! Again Wow! What a nice lady.

    Can't wait to see the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great luck you are having. See, the Angle is watching out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WhaHoooooo! You scored BIG! We had our wood cookstove for 3 yrs before we found our homestead and actually got it all installed and hooked up. You're going to LOVE it!

    Amazing blessing about the jars. I got 15 dozen from an older lady one year, after her mother died, the jars were full( some dating back as far as 1945) and amazingly enough they were all sealed and only one seemed to have spoilage. We added the inside of the jars stuff to the compost pile and washed and sterlized the jars. I even ended up with several antique canning jars( with glass lids and leaded caps) :o)

    Enjoy your blessing and we look forward to pictures of the stove and jars.
    Blessings,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that! I mean seriously, this is totally meant to be.

    Think about it, the original land owner said if it was God's will it would still be available when your check came through and now the lady that had the stove, her last name was Angel.

    How cool is that? someone is definitely watching over you, my friend. I wish you all the best with your new adventure.

    Love and Hugs
    ~Fel~
    (obviously I occasionally revert back to CA 80's valley speak. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, what a deal! Canning jars and a stove...all at once!

    Must seem like Christmas came early, huh?

    You did good, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SF Chick, thsat is wonderful! I love my woodburning cookstove although I've cooked very little on it. Soups and stews and beans, mostly.

    BTW, sent you a private email. Let me know!

    Cin

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awesome is that? I love that her name is Angel. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 20 dozen canning jars for free? Holy crap - that is fantastic!!
    Good deal on the stove, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you found yourself a great deal!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a score. Kudos to you, my friend. I can cook on either of my Vermont Castings, but I've always wanted an actual cook stove like my grandmas in West Virginia. The chili ALWAYS taste better cooked on the wood stove all day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm so jazzed for you and so jealous of you lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so want a wood cook stove! What a find you made. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you get out of her hearing range and whoop for joy lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great find on the canning jars! I recently was on site at an abandoned house (job-related) and saw some canning jars inside. Some were empty, some had food in them. I wanted to take them home so bad! But I wasn't allowed to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Once that wood stove is set up, you'll get to enjoy more savings in electricity since it also help to warm up your home.

    ReplyDelete