Thursday, February 14, 2013

Greenhouse Reveal


I've been putting off writing this post for several days now. Not because I don't want to share this awesomeness with you, but because Blogger is a royal PITA when it comes to uploading pictures.  And with that being said, here goes!   Are you ready for the BIG REVEAL???   Here's what Mars has been working on for the past couple of weeks or so. I

I am totally amazed at what he's been able to do with just a few dollars and lots and lots of "scrap" materials.  He shoveled up dirt  and put a "floor" in first.Used bricks were laid for the foundation.
  The bricks are from the old house that used to be here.  The wood is 97% old pallet wood and 3% other scrap wood from around the place. 
 The door frame is made from an old bed frame off a junk pile.  All the hinges, brackets, etc he made from pieces of old metal.  
 Expenses involved were pretty minimal.  A cattle panel, some screws, some tack strip, and a can of that squirty foam insulation. It was the labor that was intensive.  I'm really proud of how talented Mars is.
  The plastic sheeting was a gift from a friend. It has a high UV rating and is made for greenhouses.  It's supposed to last 4 years, but we'll have to see how that works out. There's enough plastic left on the roll to do this another 4-5 times.  Here it is going up. 
 The shelves are racks from a couple of old stoves that he cut and hung.  I don't know how well you can see it here but the shelves are hanging and are built to be adjustable.  We still need to find some more shelving but this will work for now! 
Mars has an idea for heating that I'll keep you all posted on. It has to do with a rocket mass heater and cob.  That probably won't be until after the summer garden is done though. We are getting ready to be real busy around here soon.  Still on the agenda is finding a good tarp and rigging up some hooks for it.  That way if/when it hails we can just hang it up over the greenhouse.  Also to keep the sun from doing damage to it during the summer months.  
 For those of you who were wondering why I wasn't using the baggie method for my seed starting this year....... Now ya know!  

I'm about as happy as a kitten sittin' under a leaky cow! 

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Its funny but no matter how long I'm with this man, he never ceases to amaze me.!

      Delete
  2. Looks good, Sci! The little seedling look pretty happy in there too. :)

    Hugs,
    ~Fel~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good my friend. I want to see them smiling in about a month!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that looks wonderful! Tell Mars that he did a great job! p.s. I'm a little jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do DFW. And honestly... I'd be jealous too... LOL!!!! I'm just so stinking proud.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks coley... hows that new baby doing? We need Pictures!

      Delete
  5. Sci,

    I love it!!!!!! Mars did a beautiful job. There is nothing better than using recycled wood and racks. Don't you just love being frugal? I love doing this and saving money at the same time.
    Have you started some of your seeds in the greenhouse yet?

    Is Mars for hire???? LOL

    Have a lovely time setting up your greenhouse and garden. Getting ansty yet??

    Hugs to you both.
    Your Friend,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Sandy, you are always just the sweetest. I'll be sure to tell him you "like" :o) Nothing like being able to recycle FREE stuff! As for seeds, girl you know I couldn't just let it sit there with nothing IN it! And as for antsy.... I'm bout ready to bust outta my winter ... wait... there's not been to much winter.....
      Girl you KNOW I'm way past ready for spring.

      Delete
  6. Just found your blog. I gotta admit that I am stinking green over your greenhouse. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Elaine! Thanks for stopping by. Don't make yourself a stranger ok?

      Delete
  7. Looks GREAT, Sci ...I'm proud of both of you! I hope you're keeping a good scrapbook of all the improvements you guys are making to that little patch of land. You have really transformed it!

    ~HB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh HB!!!! I'm so glad to see you. I seriously owe you like 10 emails by now. I've missed you terribly and I am a horrid friend for not having emailed you in so long. (I'll write down that I need to write you and see how that actually works!)

      Delete
  8. We built something similar at our last house. We added some concrete blocks for a rear wall (with boards) and 2- 1/2 buried water filled 50 gallon drums (painted black) for some thermal mass in the winter. Worked great in our cold climate! We added hanging hooks too for baskets for strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to see how it actually all works out. Great idea about the solar water thing! Isn't it amazing what folks can come up with?

      Delete
  9. Great job...will have to steal some of your ideas! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. gurl....you KNOW that me and jambaloney are sitting here grinning like fools, beaming with happiness for you both! Mars did an awesome job with that greenhouse and i know how much you will put it to use! we have cleared an area in the yard for our greenhouse that we will build with all of the windows that jambaloney collected from the garbage. we plan to have it built by mid-march - i can't wait. but until then i can come here and look at yours! enjoy! and give Mars a big pat on the back!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  11. Νormally I don't learn article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very great post.

    my website: Eternity rings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is one dandy greenhouse! And made from found materials makes it even more awesome. Yeah, jealous I am too! This is so inspiring - I've wanted a small greenhouse since first season of our garden - nice to know it can be done without 'shopping'.
    But how do I keep the BIG dogs from tearing it up? After 7 years our Shepherd/Akita guy discovered this winter he can go over the wire fence - that has to be reinforced and higher. The greenhouse would be no match. any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  13. He did a fabulous job! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a good looking greenhouse. And, he is a talented and ingenious fellow.

    I have all the free makings for a greenhouse, just no one to build it. No, I cannot build it myself. I have some racks for stoves that I lean against the house in a flower/vegetable garden so the chickens won't scratch up my flower bulbs again. More stove racks is on my mind for protecting plants.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your site. Nice green house. You might want to keep an eye on the temperature inside it. Even on cold winter days if the sun is out the temp. inside a greenhouse can rise quickly and cook the plants. Find a way to vent the warm air.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just brilliant. Mars has indeed done well!

    ReplyDelete