Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Need To Seed

I have no idea what I'm going to end up doing today.  Nothing is set in stone.  Of course there are the regular chores that need doing every day but that doesn't really count.  It is what it is.  It's to wet out in the garden right now to do anything and there's rain in the forecast again for late tonight.  Don't get me wrong, we need the rain. With the recent storms and the bit of snow and sleet, the weatherman has been hinting that we might be close to to the end of the drought. One can sure hope.  Anyway, the ground is still too wet to mess with.  That's messing with my "need to seed".

I'm starting to get antsy. Spring is around the corner and it's time  to get started getting the rows ready to plant.  The irrigation drip line needs to be laid and then I can start putting in seed.  Around here it's time to plant things like broccoli, cabbage, kolrabi, green peas, spinach, turnips, potato's, onions and lettuce.

I'd like to try my hand at growing potato's again.  Last year was the second time we've tried them.  Unfortunately, they didn't do real well but that was our fault.  They didn't get the attention they deserved and it showed in the end.  I'd really like to try again though with a different method.  I'd love to try  to grow some in tires but Mars is still adamantly against it.  He doesn't want tires "junking" up the place.  < sigh>  I think I might try growing some in some of the heavy duty feed bags I've been saving.  I'm thinking I could put a bit of soil in the bottom and use straw to cover them as they grow.  Yep, I think I'd like to try that. 

I've got some things trying to break soil in the greenhouse.  Pretty exciting, actually.  Unfortunately, tomato's aren't among them.  I had some seedlings up a couple of inches but some got stem rot, others just didn't germinate, and the few that are actually up don't look real good.  I'm sure it has to do with the temperature changes.  We are still working on that.  Mars wants to put in a couple of vents as well as try to build a mass rocket heater for it.  It's just not going to happen this season.  This year it looks like I'll be having to buy tomato's again but next year I should be able to get an early enough start to not have to do that again.  I'm just happy to have the greenhouse!

 I've been wanting to get my Mom and Sandy to come here for awhile now.  Mom's been teasing at me for the last couple of years.  Saying they were thinking about coming out this way for awhile.  This year just might be different!  I've got my fingers crossed. (and my eyes, toes and any other parts I can cross)  Rumor is that they are going to come out here around the first part of April!  And that came from Sandy so I'm really really hopeful.  It would be so great to have them here.  I haven't spent as much time as I would like to with them over the years and I'm excited beyond belief.  It would be so neat to have them close. They've been living in the mountains of Northern California for as long as I can remember so I'm not sure what they'll think about this part of Oklahoma.  I'm hoping they like it well enough to stay! 

Believe it or not there are some really cool benefits here in this state for Disabled Vets.  One of them is that Oklahoma Disabled Vets don't have to pay a sales tax.  I think that's neat.  A friend of mine here bought their new car a couple of years ago and were able to drop the sales tax on the purchase.  They don't have to pay the stupid sales tax at the grocery store either.  Sales tax on food was a new thing to me when I moved here.  In Texas they don't tax groceries. For me that was really hard. I was shell shocked at having my grocery bill suddenly increase by 10-12%.  I'm used to it now, even though I still don't think taxing food is necessary. 

Well I suppose I best find me a project for the day.  The sun is shining and it's calling me out.  I'm feeling "The Need To Seed". I think I'm up to the challenge!!

9 comments:

  1. I'd see how he feels about setting up some chicken wire towers to grow your potatoes in. Not junking up the place, and you let them grow, then add more dirt for a new layer. It works really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That"s a GREAT idea! And it just so happens I've got some chicken wire out in the barn. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure that you and Mars will come up with something! Amazing what you two have done so far!

    That Sun is sure nice...when it comes, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Jim, What a beautiful day it was, you should see it here now, just 24 hours later. Raining today with snow forecast for tomorrow! Go figure, huh?

      Delete
  3. Sci,

    I'm antsy too!!!! The weather man stated we're suppose to get snow tonight into tomorrow, possibly a blizzard.

    Last week I started sowing seeds, and just a couple of days ago several seeds popped up and I have green showing :-) I have the seeds planted in this greenhouse (indoor) I bought at Atwoods Farm and Ranch store for $19.95.

    I am going to use tires to plant my potatoes this year. Ever think about decorating the tires so they don't look junkie (per Mars)? Spray some glue on the outside of the tire and roll the tire in leaves, straw, saw dust, gravel or something to decorative to make them pretty? Just a thought. I actually place my tires behind several of my raised garden beds so there not truly visible from the front of the property.

    Hurry up and get started on a project while it's sunny out!!!

    Have a great Sunday, give Mars a hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, can you believe this? They are calling for snow here tomorrow too. Sound's like you found a cool deal there at Atwoods. Not a bad price!
      Girl, I've tried to talk him into tires for potato's for awhile now. I've suggested paint, hiding them, all sorts of things. I think he just doesn't want to have to cut them. (hehe)
      Stay safe, dry and warm the next couple of days!

      Delete
  4. My hubby can't wait for the dirt to dry, either. He wants stuff planted right now!
    We've never lived anywhere that didn't tax groceries. I can imagine your shock if Texas doesn't.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaG, this time of year is HARD on folks like us. Wanting to play in the dirt but all you can make right now are mud pies. Soon... soon....

      Delete
  5. That potatoes in a feed sack sounds like a pretty neat idea. If you decide to do it keep us posted on progress. Sounds like things are really warming up down there. We still have snow on the ground here in Nova Scotia which is okay because I feel like we just put the summer stuff away! lol

    ReplyDelete