Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Soft Oatmeal Cookies (To Die For)

Well it looks like we are going to finally get started on some fall gardening.  It's still hotter than all get out here, but it seems that we have cooled down some.  We had a few days in the high 90's and it's creeping up to the 100 mark but I think the worst may be over.  I'm almost scared to say that.... just my luck as soon as I do it will shoot back up to 110.  Anyway....

I pulled up some of the dead tomato's and am getting the ground ready to re-plant.  It still needs some fertilizer worked into it but then it should be good to go. I've still got some more to pull up so that will free up some more space too.  Mars has tilled up two more large beds and we are working to get them ready as well.  Good thing he did cause I pulled out our seeds and started thinking "I can't possibly plant all this stuff in that little bit of space"  LOL  The forecast for the fall and winter are hotter and drier than normal (go figure!) and so the hope is that planting just a little late will work out ok.  I'm only talking about a couple of weeks more or less so once again we will just have to see how things work out.  And some things are right on time so I'm hoping for a decent outcome.

It looks like I got lucky when I planted all the Yellow and Winter Squash last month. Come to find out that the timing was perfect for this area and the Fall garden.  I've already got a couple of yellow squash and there are tons of blooms on the plants out there.  The Butternut Squash has a couple of babies on it too.  I can't tell you how excited that makes me! 
I just know Fall is around the corner. I've been craving biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast.  I just love being able to fire up the oven in the morning and tossing in a batch of homemade biscuits!  I always get a bit antsy this time of year waiting for it to be cool enough to cook whole meals and do some baking.

I DID fire up the oven last night though.  My sweet tooth got the better of me and so I tried a new cookie recipe.  I gotta tell you... I found another winner!  And it just wouldn't be right not to share it with you guys.  Down right mean really!  And who doesn't like Soft Oatmeal Cookies?  Man, they sure were good this morning.  Had them for breakfast with some hot coffee!!  Life is good I tell ya.

Soft Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups quick oats (regular will work in a pinch)
_______
sugar
cinnamon (optional)

Cream together sugar, brown sugar and butter.  Add eggs one at a time and the vanilla. Mix well.
In another bowl, mix flour baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Add to sugar mixture and mix well.  Add oats and mix.  Refrigerate for at LEAST an hour.
Pre-Heat oven to 375*.  Grease cookie pans.  Make walnut size balls from the dough and place on the cookie sheet 3 inches apart.  Use a fork dipped in sugar (or sugar and cinnamon mix) and flatten cookies.  Bake 10 minutes and remove to wire rack.

Once they are out of the oven, make a pot of coffee and enjoy a couple (or three)  These are soooo good.  I love a good cookie more than most anything and these are wonderful.

      ~~~~~~  Hey ... I'm Just Sayin' ... ~~~~~~


PS Don't forget to sign up for the BIG GIVEAWAY. The link is at the upper right side of this page!!  Times running out!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I actually got a comment to post! now off to bake some oatmeal cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your just gonna MAKE me try these arn't ya? hehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been craving cookies around here - I have got to make them!!

    ReplyDelete