Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm Back

Caution- Reading this post could cause severe boredom. . Short version- I've been feeling under the weather but I'm better now. Proceed at your own risk.

Another apology for not writing for the last few days. The last two days have been spent driving around in circles for the most part.  I had an appointment on Wednesday to see a new doctor. Since I can't really afford one and can't get medicare yet,  I was able to find a wonderful place called The Good Samaritan's. They will see people who have no insurance or money to see a doctor.  There aren't really many rules except to show up on time.  The appointment was for 9:00 am with a check in time of 8:30 am.

  I had the very best of intentions and was aiming to be there before 8:30.  Things just never seem to work out like you had them planned though.  I had to drive into Tulsa, which is a little over 50 miles from Little Big Town.  I was up at 6:30 and on the road by 7:00.  Now don't you think that would be plenty of time to make it?  Yeah, so did I.  The problem is that it seems that every single road in Tulsa is under construction of some sort or the other.  And so my google map of how to get where I needed to be was rendered practically useless.  Well truth be told even without the construction detours it was pretty useless. I tried calling the numbers I had for the place and of course neither of them were any good.  Anyway, somehow I finally found the place at 9:15am.  I ran in, breathless, and was told my name had been crossed off the list.  Grrrrr.... but as fate would have it, someone didn't show up and I was able to take their spot.  

The doctor was great. She is going to do all she can to help me get my Social Security Disability.  As she put it "There is NO reason they should have turned you down". So she ordered a bunch of lab tests to be done and some xrays  as well.  This way I have something to show SS. Unfortunately the diagnoses hasn't changed but at least I have found a bit of help.  

Yesterday I had to go back into Tulsa (construction capitol of Oklahoma) and find the lab to have the blood work done , as well as the x-rays.  I'm really glad Mars went with me because once again I was lost as lost could be.  Of course every time I stopped to ask for directions I got some crazy instructions that kept getting me more and more lost. For over 2 hours we drove around before finally we broke down and bought a freaking $5.00 map of the city.  LOL we should have done that the day before!  With the help of the map we drove straight to both places with no more troubles.  Geesh, what a day. 

I didn't realize how much it had taken out of me.  I've been told that fatigue is one of the things that I will eventually have to deal with.  I guess I know what they were talking about now.  I fell into bed early last night and slept for a solid 10 hours. (something I never do)  Things are looking much better today!! 
                                          ~~Hey- I'm Just Sayin~~


  1. Yes, Tulsa is always under construction. My husband knows his way around that city and can find places I have never heard of. If we need to go there, which is often, I always take him with me. Hope your SS comes through. From others I hear it takes a while.

  2. Glad you have something like Good Samaritan's, no such luck here and our Dd is without insurance coverage right now*gulp*.

    We're working on( just beginning our battle, I'm sure) with SS to get her on SSI due to her blindness in her left eye, field of vision loss in her right eye and learning challenges due to her brain tumor's placement in her brain. She was eligible for SSI when she was young, then the government changes the disability law and she was dropped, we fought it through three rounds and we'd had enough and inccured lawyer expenses on top of it, so we had to quit. Well, now that she is an adult things have changed a bit and we're hoping to get her qualified again, ASAP because we sure don't like her NOT having health coverage, especially with her medical history. There is just no way we can afford to pay for her coverage, we checked into it and a major medical policy would run us $480 a month!

    Praying your SSD goes through, we can relate to the waiting on pins and needles*sigh*


  3. Glad you are feeling better.

  4. I am glad you were able to see a doctor after all that. Hopefully they will help you through the SSD process. Glad you are getting to feeling better. :)

  5. Hope everthing works out for you.

    Dang, I hate to have to go to a big city for anything. This ole country boy gets lost every time.

  6. Thank you all for the kind words.