Thursday, May 20, 2010

Potato Soup?

Would you look at the size of this potato?  I think it's probably one of the biggest I have ever encountered.  That's not a plate it's sitting on either....that's a 5 gallon bucket! We could eat two or three meals from that monster.  I've been trying to figure out what in the world to do with it.  I'm thinking I could make a whole pot of potato soup with the thing.  Hmmm.... anyone have a good tater soup recipe?
 It is raining cats and dogs here today.  We have probably had a good 3-4 inches so far and its still coming down.  I don't even want to think about what all has been water damaged in the "storage".  I've been trying to get things put away as best I can so I guess we shall see how it all ends up. 

My friend Mapdude and his lady went to look at another property for us.  I really like the looks of this one.  Approximately 8 acres with water, electric, and phone lines to the property. The lands pretty level as  well. Tons and tons of trees too.  Tons of ticks too from what Mapdude told me. Owner Financed and the price is right.  It's out in the boonies too.... We have been looking at property on line in Arkansas for a couple of years now and this one is probably has the most potential yet.  We shall see.... We will definately be looking at this one when we go up there in a few weeks. It's my first time buying land so I'm a bit nervous.  I wish I knew the ins and outs a bit better but its not Mars' first rodeo so I'm sure we will be fine. Here are some pictures they took of the place if your interested.

The Gulf Coast oil spill news just keeps getting worse and worse.  There are alot of questions that should be answered but no one is talking. 
BP and Coast Guard Threaten to Arrest Journalists for Covering Oil Polluted Shoreline in Louisiana

Coreexit is Killing the Gulf

1 Month Later, Numbers Just Get Worse

Jindal: The Day We've Been Fearing Is Upon Us

This thing stinks of something much bigger than "just" an accidental oil spill.  Call me crazy if ya want... wouldn't be the first time!! I read a comment on Ye Old Furt's blog that has haunted me and still does.
 The last sentence read
 ..."If the ocean dies, we die.  They may have killed us all."                                                                   Coyote Prime

4 comments:

  1. Here is how I make my potato soup:

    3-4 large potatoes cut into bite size pieces (usually one per person)

    1 large onion diced

    1/2 to 1 pound of sausage

    large handful or 1 box of frozen greens (spinach, kale, mustard, etc.)

    Box of chicken broth

    Butter

    Milk

    Salt and Pepper

    Brown sausage in large dutch oven. Add onions and sautee until clear. Add chicken broth. Heat broth to boiling, put in cut up potatoes. When about done, put in chopped up greens and finish cooking until potatoes are done. Then add butter (We like butter so I add as much as one stick) and as much milk as you like in it. Heat up just enough to get milk hot, best if it doesn't boil with the milk in it

    Add salt and lots of pepper. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Sci!

    I am loving the looks of that property, it looks really nice. :D I hope it works out for you guys. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

    I had this recipe on my blog, it is really good

    Cheesy Potato Soup

    Ingredients

    * 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
    * 1 small carrot, finely chopped
    * 1/2 stalk celery, finely chopped
    * 1 1/2 cups water
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 2 1/2 cups milk
    * 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
    * 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons steak seasoning
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 2 cups shredded four-cheese blend

    Directions

    1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine potatoes, carrot, celery, water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Once tender, stir in milk.
    2. In a small bowl, combine melted margarine, flour, steak seasoning and pepper. Stir into soup, increase heat to medium, and cook, stirring, until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

    This will make 5 Servings

    Hugs~Fel~

    ReplyDelete
  3. tater soup sounds yummy!! Could you send me your snail mail addy to happe2b50 at yahoo dot com? I will be very happy to pass on some books to you. I have so many that some are stacked in boxes. What type books do you like to read? I have some of almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love potato soup and make it lots of ways. Pre-browned onions (or leeks) are a wonderful addition, plus a hint of garlic. Don't forget the herbs.... good with tarragon OR savory OR rosemary/thyme/marjoram..... can sprinkle fresh herbs on the surface, or cook them in if you use dried.

    If you like the milk/butter suggestion above, you can do what my mom did - added the milk and butter directly to each bowl, with piping hot soup poured over. Avoids problems of reheating leftovers...

    ReplyDelete