I got a few seeds in dirt yesterday. Mainly herbs this time. I've got it in my head that this will be the year that I'll have an herb garden. If you've been hanging out here awhile you know I say that every year. I've not had the greatest luck with most herbs, but I keep trying. I've even got a nice spot for them almost ready. For now though they are just seeds.
The onions harvested last summer are gone now. I will sometimes pick up a few at the store for fresh cut onions along the way but for the most part this time of year I'll use the onions I dehydrated just for that reason. I should have enough to last until the newly planted onions are ready.They did pretty well and I've only been having to buy onions recently. They did "ok" being braided for storage. I'd check them fairly regularly and dehydrate the ones that were getting close to going bad.
Another of the lessons I learned last year was that I need to buy my onion sets at places I trust. I made the mistake this past year and picked some up at the local grocery store. I had picked up yellow onions and they grew just fine. The problem was that they all were like double onion? Each one seemed to have two separate onions in one bulb. I don't know how to explain it. They were fine for eating but a PITA to peel.
We've got a great feed store over in Little Big Town that buys their onion sets and bulbs, potatoes and vegetable plants locally. New sets are starting to show up there and that is were I'll get my sets for this year. Last year we planted 75-80 feet of onions. We'll plant at least that much again this year. I'd like to plant some red onions and of course yellow onions. Maybe even a couple of other varieties.
One of the things Mars has been working on (when the weather allows) is trying to clean up the area where the old house used to be. It's the last of the "clean up" of the property. We know that there was a fire here but don't know exactly how long ago it was. Mars thinks that someone had bought the place with intentions of remodeling the old house. They probably stayed in an RV while the remodel was going on. There was an old electric pole with a breaker box on it once upon a time where it was probably hooked up to. There's a newish septic tank . Mars found the original septic tank when we planted the Redbud trees. There was a place in front of the dilapidated barn that had lots and lots of drywall pieces that was probably once a big stack of sheet rock. There's a spot inside the house area that had piles and piles of glass. Some of it got so hot it sort of melded together. So far he's picked out over 7 feed bags FULL of glass. Most in one spot, which leads him to believe that there were probably new windows stacked there to install during the remodel job. The house was set on pier and beams and there's a section toward the back that looks like it was probably an addition. That's the area we plan to build on some day.
Oh HECK.!!! I just looked out the window and all the dang chickens are all out. I best go so I can find and fix their escape hatch. Later ya'll.!