Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Learning Valuable Skills

There are all sorts of folks who prepare in all sorts of ways and for all sorts of reasons. It seems everyone who does has their own reasons for doing so.  What ever the reasons, I am just happy that they do. When I first started prepping I was just trying to stay ahead of the price of groceries.  I'm still trying.  The problem is that now it is getting harder and harder to stay ahead. That is where having and using skills comes in handy.  

I think one of the most important things we can do is to learn everything we can.  The more we can do for ourselves the less we will have to depend on others to do them for us.  There might even come a time that the things you have learned may well help  keep you alive. Besides, learning new things can be alot of fun as well as being useful.

Is there something that you have always been interested in but don't know how to do?  Why not try your hand at it? Make a list of things that you would like to learn.  Things that you want to be able to do. Then just pick one and go for it.  Some might require that you take some classes but I guarantee that there are plenty that  don't.  These days with the internet right at your fingertips there really isn't much of a reason not to try your hand at learning something new.  There are great places to find out how to do a million things. Heck,  there are even places like YouTube that can show you step by step how to do tons of things.  There are forums on just about anything as well. Most of the forums  would be happy to answer any questions you might have.  I am living proof that even an old dog can learn many new tricks.   I look back now and am amazed at how just setting your mind to doing something can make a "want to"  into a "can do". 

I'll give you a couple of examples.  Since I first knew Mars, every year he's grown at least a couple of tomato and pepper plants. Of course these days that has expanded but... back then we would eat all the fresh stuff we could and the rest ended up being given away or it would just go to waste.  Now it just broke my heart seeing it go to waste and so I decided I wanted to learn how to put them up.  So I asked a few questions and did some research.  I even found a free online canning class. I started with the easier methods and gathered up the "tools" I needed to begin.  That year I taught myself how to do Water Bath Canning. I learned how to put up pickled peppers and tomato's that year. I was so excited that I had learned a new skill! Then  I decided I wanted to learn to put up other things. So I did some more research and I started saving my money and the next year I bought a pressure canner.   I learned how to put up lots of different kinds of vegetables.  

Since then I have learned lots of things that have helped me tremendously in my prepping.  I consider all  these skills valuable. I also truly enjoy doing them.  I still have a list and am still learning new things.  I guess what I am trying to say is why not take some time and learn a new skill? It may really come in handy some day.  And heck, even if it doesn't,  you will be all the wiser for having learned something new.

                              ~~~ Hey ... I'm Just Sayin' ... ~~~

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I have a list a mile long! I think you hit the nail on the head, knowledge is freedom. This year is the year for herbs....how they are used medicinely, in the garden as bug repellents, or to draw in the right bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as being prepared for long-term emergencies, I think knowledge and common sense are more important than stockpiled goods (though they're excellent, too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's often said that the most important tool any of us have is our brain! If we can stuff it full of new knowledge, it sure could come in handy!

    Besides, learning new things is one way to stay out of trouble...mostly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sci,

    Learn as much as you can, while you can, to help become self reliant.

    Also, if the brain continues to work, less chance of those terrible diseases to target the brain like (dementia, and alzheimers).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true. I've learned to can in the last 2 years, doing more freezing and dehydrating. Bartering is good too, you never know what you'll get, free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun to happen upon your blog. I look forward to visiting often! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You not only teach, but you inspire. I hope more people brave new things like you have. Everyone benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've finally learned that whenever I have a question, the answer is GOOGLE! I spend a hunk of my days on Google and Youtube where you can find out how to season and clean cast iron skillets, how to pick a lock, or what that tingling in your hand could mean.

    I'm referring to it as my bucket list of answers.

    ReplyDelete