Sunday, March 10, 2013

20 Grocery Savings Tips and Tricks

 I'm working on another article to expand on trying to cut your overall budget but with so many good ideas for saving money and living more cheap errr... frugally I thought I would share a few things that I have learned over the years about grocery shopping first.  I am sure that many of these you have heard before.  There is a reason for that though.  They work!  With food prices skyrocketing it has become even more important to make you dollar stretch.  And for those of us who are working on our food storage it means that the more we can save in one area, the more we can prep in another!

I like to keep a running list of the things I use.  Mine is on my fridge. A friend of mine keeps her's inside her pantry door with a pen attached to it so she can jot it down as she takes it out of the cupboard.   When you remove something from your pantry write it down so you will remember to replace it.  And always remember to rotate your groceries.  This makes sure you don't end up with wasted food. There is nothing worse than having to toss out something that you could have used if you had just rotated it in your pantry!

*** Check out the weekly ads in your area BEFORE you go shopping and use it to help with making your list.  Once you get your pantry stocked up you can use this "tip" to help you prep and save money while you are doing it.  The idea is to try and NEVER buy anything that isn't on sale or doesn't have the best bang for the buck so to speak.

*** Always shop with a list

*** If you have to veer off the list... make sure it is because you have found a REAL bargain.  Try and give yourself a little "leeway" just in case you find one of those Unadvertised Specials.  Don't make a habit of it but always try to be aware of these specials and jump on them if you find yourself a good bargain!

*** Use coupons. You CAN save alot of money using coupons.  There are tons of websites dedicated to couponing.  Check them out and do a little homework. Check out stores that offer double and triple coupons.  Don't buy things that you will not use or that you don't need.  Remember:  Eat what you Store and Store what you Eat.

*** Never shop when you are hungry.  There is no better way for me to load up on "crap" than when I go to the store with the munchies.  All the sudden everything looks good!

*** Try to shop alone.  Think about it.  When you take the kids or even the significant other how often do you find yourself buying things you had NO intention of getting when you walked in the store?

*** Check out the store brands.  Not always, but more often than not, the store brands are just as good and usually less expensive.  If you try the product and don't like it, most stores will refund you your money. They want your business and want you to come back.   I have actually taken back the label of an empty can of soup once that I thought was disgusting.   They gave me my $ back!  OK I know this one isn't a tip for the faint of heart but hey ....if you are cheap....er frugal...

*** Compare unit prices.  I have found this to be really really helpful.  Most all stores show the price per ounce. Lot's of times what you "thought" was a good deal really isn't at all. Compare the per ounce costs of each item.  You would be surprised at how many times "bigger is not always better".

*** Buying in bulk can save money.  Be careful with this one though.  I have found lately that some smaller sizes are actually less expensive than buying in bulk.  This is where watching your "unit" prices comes in handy.

*** When you are checking out ALWAYS watch the scanner.  I've caught mistakes over and over again because items didn't ring up correctly at the checkout.  Why spend all that time trying to save money just to have them not ring it up correctly?  Don't be shy about letting them know.

*** Watch for marked down items.  You can save huge money.  I try to go earlier in the day to catch marked down items. Always check what I like to call "the bargain buggy" This is where you can pick up some great deals on "dented" and discontinued items. When a package is torn or squashed they will mark the item down as well. 

*** I also find some excellent deals in the meat department like this.  Since I either use what I have bought the same day or freeze it that same day this works well for me.  I once found sliced cheese (24 oz package) marked down to $0.75 each. And yes it was "real" cheese. I bought all 15 packages and put them up in the freezer.

*** When you find something that you use regularly on sale - Stock up and buy as much as you can afford to. You know you will be using it later on and prices are rising fast these days.  Store what you eat and eat what you store.

*** If the store is out of your "sale" item always ask for a raincheck.  They usually ask how many you want at that price.  I ALWAYS tell them I want the maximum number allowed if it has a limit.  When you redeem the coupon you don't have to buy that amount but if you can afford it and want to you still have that option.  While you are waiting for them to restock that item you can also start looking for coupons for it.  That way when it does come in, you can save even more.

*** Sign up for the "Store Card"  This can save you money that you didn't even know about.  If you are reluctant to give up your information to them do what I do.  Make up some BS information.  They NEVER check the information anyway. And if they do, so what? What are they going to do?  Call the grocery cops on you? 


*** Remember that a sale is not always necessarily a sale. Many times a store will try to push something that has been overstocked and will just put it on an end-cap to get your attention.

*** Stay away from convenience foods.  You can make most of the same things at home for half the price. (I should  do a whole post on this one!)


*** Avoid last minute  impulse items.  They put all that stuff next to the check-out counter to try and get you to make unnecessary purchases.  Keep your hands to yourself in the check-out lane!

These are just a few suggestions.  I am sure there are MANY more.  But following just a few basic guidelines can help you save lots of money and help your food storage to grow and grow.
                                           ~~Hey... I'm Just Sayin...~~


23 comments:

  1. Many times I find the store brands of canned goods are still a better deal than the name brands even if you have a coupon. I always hit the bargain bin for meat early in the day, that will be what's for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found the same thing Swamp Dog. I'll admit I miss my old grocery store. They had such good deals on marked down meats. Here, I really struggle with the cost.
      I tend to shop around the sales ads as well. If pork (or whatever) is the super deal of the week. Guess what's for dinner? LOL! It all adds up after awhile.

      Delete
  2. What an excellent article! I do all this except maybe for the couponing. They seem to be mostly for processed foods. I do use some coupons though the ones you can print online are useless as the store I frequent won't take them. They're kind of old fashioned.
    I can't tell you how much money shopping this way has saved me. I also shop in various dollar stores and discount (scratch & dent) stores, the latter because we all know the expiration date does not mean it is going to go bad on that date. If in doubt or if the cans are dented I can always re-can the food in jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladyhawthorne I KNEW there was something I forgot! Discount stores We have one in Little Big Town that I try to get to as often as I can. Great things can be found deeply discounted for sure!

      Delete
  3. My wife has managed to build up a 7 month food stock pile on our already small $50 per week grocery budget (for 2 people). She stocks up on items when she can get them on bogo and stack a store coupon with a manufacturer coupon on the buy one and the get one item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! That's an awesome accomplishment. I've got the same budget for groceries but include other essentials in it as well. Unfortunately, the budget isn't going as far as it was even a year ago. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  4. My Miracle Whip went from 32 oz to 30 oz, so watch for that if you buy it. I do all the things you put in the post. Plus, I go to food banks. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been noticing the same thing with several products, toilet paper being one of them. Have you noticed that some of the 1000 sheet rolls are now almost a half inch shorter than a regular roll?
      I don't know about the cost of Miracle Whip here but I know that mayonnaise has gone up a buck since this time last year.

      Delete
  5. For *luxury* items, I go to Family Dollar. Cocoa powder, semi-sweet chocolate, walnuts, all the groan inducing high priced items in the grocery...I look at Family Dollar and compare the price with the grocery. I also buy most canned stuff (I don't buy much) at Family Dollar. Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to whip up some quick hummus on a day when I haven't had the chance to soak and cook my dried ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't thought aoubt Family Dollar in awhile. I'll have to go check it out next time I'm over in Little Big Town. I know what you mean about "luxury" items. It almost hurts to indulge but sometimes you just have too. A girls gotta have her chocolate chip cookies, right? LOL. Thanks for the tips Lamb!

      Delete
  6. We try to limit our shopping trips to one or two a month and we check all the sales first. We alternate between Winco, Costco, Walmart and a couple of smaller discount stores

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do the same here. I shop once a month and keep an eye out for sales that I "just can't pass up". I'm kinda jealous that you have so many choices for shopping! :)

      Delete
  7. I have a tip too, don't ever thorugh left overs out. Even if it's a couple of spoonfuls of mashed potatos or stuffing put it in a container in the freezer and save it for later, There are a ton of recipes you can make with "leftovers". My favorite is croquettes made with left over turkey meat, mash potato, and stuffing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I do with leftover vegetables is to put them in a jar I keep in the freezer. Even a spoonful (like you said) it adds up and eventually I will either make soup or stew with it OR I'll put them in the dehydrator once the jar is full and make vegetable powder.

      Delete
  8. For those who shop at some of the stores that are not so expensive, like Family Dollar, Dollar stores, Save-A-Lots, check those canned goods that you're thinking of purchasing and look to see where they are coming from. I had a boat load of canned goods that were on sale at a local grocery, ready to go out the door, in my cart and felt so happy about the good deal,... until I thought I'd look to see where those were processed at and I read that they were from China and other Asian countries. I refuse to pay for food that is processed somewhere else out of this country and keep in mind, their "rules" are certainly nothing like ours and when they export into our country, that follows, but, other expectations and rules for us exporting into their countries are very high. Amazing isn't it???? All those cans went back on the shelf. I'm just not willing to chance it. I've found many other canned food sale items later that were just as good, price wise and processed here within our own country. I'm a gardener and I prefer to use my homegrown, heirloom seeded veggies canned up, but stocking up with can goods are great, but I feel when I do purchase, I want to at least support our own country as much as we can, though I will say I'm not into big AGRI, the chemicals and Monsanto. Sometimes it's just hard to get around that part when buying food from the grocery store shelves. We have to eat though! Those that can do it and have room, I would try to make a better effort to grow and can your own if able to. Just my two cents and opinion and do not feel that others have to take heed, but just thought I'd make people aware of the possibility of "foreign canned goods" in some of these stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good advice. There are some scary foods coming out of China these days, not to mention Japan and it's nuclear mess.

      Delete
  9. I'd add- be flexible. Sometimes you find a good deal you're weren't looking for, so just adjust your list/menu...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Nancy! Some of the best deals I've found has been because I just stumbled across them.

      Delete
  10. i buy about $500 worth of groceries and only go shopping every 3 months...minus the milk tht gets pocked up monthly for the freezer...sittin back doing the math thats about $167/ month for a family of 5...milk cost about $20-25 per month...i use a ton of coupons also just mever paid attention to amountsaved as long as i got my veggies/fruits/meats w staples to make it till next shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure sounds like you have it "going on"! Great job!

      Delete
  11. Very good list but I must add one more thing. Be careful when taking kids shopping. We did our monthly shopping trip earlier this week and found out later that my 2 yr old grabbed a couple of 3 packs of washclothes and threw them in the cart without us noticing. It wasn't until we got home and unpacked I found them (luckily they were cheapos but still didn't need them). And you are right, food prices are absolutely skyrocketing, well everything in general is. I guess all we can do is keep cutting back and finding new ways to do things. :)

    ReplyDelete