Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Hatch Chilis and Other Stuff


I'd apologize for not blogging more this past week (month) but why?  I'm not the only one busy with the garden and food preservation this time of year.  Add the regular chores to that and somehow the entire day... err... week is gone before you know it. This was one picking some day this past week.  The purple hull peas are doing well and I've been getting quite a few peas.  I finally got a whole quart of green beans. Their production this year has been minimal and pretty much just taking up garden space. I'll be pulling out the pole beans in the next couple of days and replant with some Green Peas for the fall.  Maybe I'll have better luck with them.

I'm happy to report that the tomatoes are slowing down now.  They are far from done but I've gone from picking two 5 gallon buckets a day to a little less than one.  If nothing else these plants did extremely well and look like they'll be producing on into the fall months.  I picked these Better Boy tomatoes up from a local nursery and I'll try saving some seed and seeing how they do next year.  Except... I don't think I'll plant nearly as many next year.  lol  These tomatoes have just about kicked my butt this time around.  I've put up whole tomatoes, chopped, quartered, and crushed, Italian and Rotel tomatoes, Salsa (Of course!), tomatoes and onions, and spaghetti sauce.  I've dried load after load of tomatoes as well.  I doubt very seriously if we will run out of them before next year.  Shoot maybe the year after that! 

Sandy and her husband stopped by this past weekend for a quick visit while on their way to T Town.  Such a sweet and thoughtful couple.  I really enjoyed our visit and hope to see them again soon. They brought us some mesquite wood for the smoker!  I've not had mesquite smoked "anything" in what?  Three years now?  That's a down right disgrace for a Texan to have to say. The first thing I did was to pull a chicken out of the freezer for Mesquite Smoked Chicken.  Yumm Yummm. 
Sandy also brought some beautiful Hatch chili's and a whole BIG BAG of dried Hatch Chili powder!  Super awesome! 
 

I ended up roasting all of the peppers and put back some "prime specimen" for Chili Rellanos.  Both were a first for me.   You know, I've processed bunches of different types of peppers and never had any of them burn my hands before. 

 I'm here to tell ya I'm surprised they didn't blister they were burning so bad after getting done removing the skin from those peppers!  Of course, me being the brightest crayon in the box, I handled them again when I made the Chili Rellanos.  LOL No surprise when they started burning again.  All in all though it was worth it!  My neighbor taught me how to make them but this was my first "solo" run for Chili Rellanos. They came out super yummy. (Sorry forgot to get a picture).  

I've never put up Hatch Chili's before so I hit the interwebs looking to see what I should do.  It seems it's best to freeze them from what I've read.  Some of you probably know how I feel about freezing stuff.  I try very hard not to freeze much of anything.  But these yummy peppers deserve special treatment!  I wasn't sure exactly how I was going to package them up though.  Then I had one of those "moments".  Why not put them into an ice cube tray and flash freeze them! 
So I blistered the peppers in the little oven I have for my outdoor kitchen.
 Skinned and chopped them up.
Portioned them into ice cube trays and stuck them in the freezer for a couple of hours.
 

Then packaged them in a ziplock baggie.  I think its an awesome idea!  Now when I want to add Chili's to a dish I can just take out one or two cubes and they are ready to go.
 Well folks I'm off to the garden again.  Those tomatoes don't pick themselves ya know!!



8 comments:

  1. I'm canning squash today. Did some apples yesterday.Made an apple pie too.I figured that was enough for one day!!! LOL
    The peppers do burn bad,and they can blister your hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of your squash. Those dang bugs got us again this year. Mars has planted another row and so far the squash is looking pretty good. I've got my fingers crossed for squash some day! lol
    Sounds like you had one heck of a busy day. Folks just don't realize what all goes into getting stuff canned. The canning part itself is pretty easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one of the few people who have tomatoes, I had two buckets out of the whole crop and had a lot of plants to do that. Didn't plant hot peppers this year, I still have a lot canned from last year, they will get after you for sure. We did have good beans and the poles are still producing. People don't realize what is involved in canning but then they are missing out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just got lucky with the tomatoes. Even if I do fuss about them. I can tell you one thing though, unless we start selling produce I won't be planting this many again. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Isn't it crazy how busy we all are? Wake up early, get in late, fix dinner, shower, go to bed, wake up and start all over again... It's a good busy/tired though:?)
    Smiles,
    Lady Locust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. Come this winter I'll be SO glad I did all this. And I'll be itching to do it all over again.

      Delete
  5. Sci,

    I'm happy to hear your tomato harvest is slowing down.
    Your pulling your pole beans and replacing them with peas? I'm going to pull everything left except the asparagus, melons, tomatoes, and peppers. Then I will plant my peas too. I truly hope they produce for me.

    Chili Rellanos, omg.............you've made me want Mexican food right now!!!! Tonight, I'm making street tacos. I can't wait until tonight for Mexican food though, lol

    Great idea freezing the Green Chiles in ice cube trays chopped. I'll have to keep this idea in mind for next time.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy,
      You will never believe this but I went out yesterday with the intention of pulling up those pole beans. I found green beans! I don't know why or how they are starting to produce so late in the year but I guess I won't be pulling them up now. *sigh* Now where the heck will I put the green peas?

      Delete