Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Repost- Our First Thanksgiving

Notice the missing parts? He couldn't wait another minute
Talk about lessons learned! This year I actually have a menu, a plan and an extra day.....  Here's how it went last year......

 
I had good intentions.  I really did!  It's the planning I didn't quite have worked out.  I mean, it's not my first time to cook Thanksgiving Dinner. (although you might question that after today)  I really hadn't even thought much about the dinner itself. I kind of had an idea of what I wanted to do.  Just a simple meal, nothing really fancy since it's just Mars and I here.  And as far as he was concerned I could have made any old meal as long as I called him to dinner.   The one thing I knew I wasn't going to do was to go to town for any of it.  If we didn't already have it here at the house already I wasn't going to make it. Since the oven in the RV is too small to hold a turkey I decided to just bake a whole chicken instead.

On Wednesday, instead of prepping things ahead of time,(yeah, what was I thinking, right?) I decided I should make cookies for the neighbors and for Bob down at the lumber yard. (more about that later)  I made a huge batch of Snickerdoodles, and helped Mars some with the skirting on the trailer. I delivered "Bob the Builder" his cookies. Then "life" just sort of happened and before you know it the day was gone.  I figured what the heck, It's just a simple meal and won't take much time at all to get it done in the morning.  So off to bed I went. And didn't wake up till almost 9:30.  Hey it's Thanksgiving right??   I wasn't too upset though, heck I was just going to bake a chicken and some sweet potato's right? How hard can that be?

So while I'm drinking coffee and checking out emails I got to thinking that well... it IS Thanksgiving.  Maybe I should make some dressing (that's southern for stuffing) to go with that bird. I mean what's Thanksgiving without dressing? I ran through the items in my head that I'd need... ok no problem... I think I've got everything.

So as I'm making  breakfast, I realized I only had a half a loaf of bread left and I was going to need it ALL for the stuffing. And if we were going to have chicken and dressing we were going to need something to sop up the gravy wouldn't we?  So I needed to make some bread. I needed to make some anyway... But then I got to thinking... you can't just have bread with a Thanksgiving dinner can you?  I'd need to make some rolls too.  No problem, I'd just whip up a batch of dough before I got started on everything else.
 Wait a second...Did I just say GRAVY? Where did that come from? But you know if you are going to have chicken and dressing you just have to have gravy right? I mean it IS Thanksgiving. And really, it isn't all hard and takes no time at all to whip up...

So now the menu was Chicken and Dressing with giblet gravy, baked sweet potato's ( I'm not crazy about the sweet potato casserole, thanks but no thanks) and homemade rolls.  It sound's simple enough and traditional but then I got to thinking.... Man I would sure love some deviled eggs to go with that! We used to have them every holiday when I was a kid Ok, easy enough, right?  But wait!!!  We need a desert of some kind don't we I mean it IS Thanksgiving and what would it be without dessert?  I have a bunch of pumpkin spice pudding I got on sale last year that I could make pretty quick and I had some whipped topping in the freezer.  I'd just need to go into the understorage on the trailer to find the pudding.

So I set out to make Thanksgiving Dinner. And apparently, looking back, I was having a "Blonde" day.

Step 1) Mix up the dough. Get hot water ready to "proof" my yeast. Grab the sugar canister.... empty! Go out to storage and fill the sugar up. Put sugar, yeast and water in the bowl and let it start working. Grab the flour canister.  Two cups left in it, need 6. (Darn, made cookies yesterday and used it all) Go to storage and get more flour. Mix the dough and let it rise for an hour or so.

Step 2) Slice up the half a loaf of bread to let it "air dry" for a bit. Chop celery and onion and set it in the fridge for later. Take the celery ends to the rabbits because they really like them.

Step 3) Put eggs on to boil for the Deviled Eggs.  So far so good.

Step 4) Go out to the understorage to find the pudding. Unload several boxes before I realize what I need is in the BACK. Find the pudding mix and re-stack the boxes.  Find a can of cranberry sauce. YaY!! Bonus!!  What's dressing without cranberry sauce? This is when I find a can of pumpkin I forgot I had.  Hmmmm.... boy, pumpkin pie sure would be good...  Of course I've never made a pumpkin pie before but how hard could it be? And it IS Thanksgiving....

Step 5) Put cranberry sauce in the fridge. Look up recipe for Pumpkin Pie and realize that it's the same one that's on the can! Calls for evaporated milk. Which is in storage. Go out and unload a few boxes and find the milk. Hmmmm I'm going to need a pie shell.  Hop on the internet and look up a recipe for one that sounds simple enough.

Step 6) Bread dough is ready to form into rolls. Make two pans and a loaf of bread and let rise till doubled.   Put the rolls in the tiny oven to bake. Set the timer (because it is becoming apparent I'm not to be trusted today) Take a break because after all... it IS Thanksgiving.

Step 7) Put the second round of bread in the tiny oven to cook.

Step 8) Make the pie dough and wonder why it's not holding together like it should. Read the recipe and see where it says chill the dough first. Put it in the fridge and start mixing up the pumpkin filling.  I can't find the ground cloves.... I have whole cloves. OK, break out the little spice grinder and try to grind them up. They don't grind up real well but at this point it is going to have to do. Take the pie dough out and it's better now.  Roll out two pie crusts because the recipe says to make one deep dish pie and I don't have a deep dish.

Step 9) Take out the bread, put the pies in the oven and cross my fingers.  Recipe says it should take approximately an hour. Set the timer (because it's now my best friend)

Step 10) Put celery,onions and butter in pan to saute for the dressing. Look for the poultry seasoning. There IS no poultry seasoning.  Wonder if there is any in storage. Go out to look, pull out the boxes... nothing... put the boxes back and hit the internet (again) for a homemade poultry seasoning recipe.  I actually have all the spices. I know this because I had just looked through every single one I have looking for the poultry seasoning.  Wash the spice grinder (because it has clove powder stuck in it) Mix up seasoning and add to the celery and onions, cut bread cubes and add them and the other ingredients necessary. Set aside till I'm ready to do the chicken.

Step 11) Check the pie's. They are nowhere near done. Put them back in to cook and set the timer for 30 minutes. Check the clock. Realize that Thanksgiving Dinner is really going to be Thanksgiving Supper.

Step 12) Wash the chicken and am amazed that all the "innards" are in it.  Season chicken and stuff with the dressing. Check the pies.... still not done.  Set timer for another 15 minutes.

Step 13) Make the Deviled Eggs. Nothing went wrong.... weird.

Step 14) Start the "innards" in chicken stock and spices. Check the pies. Almost done. Set timer for 5 more minutes.

Step 15) Take a break cause after all it IS Thanksgiving.

Step 16) Pies are ready!!!  Take out to cool and put chicken in.  Set timer for 1 hour. Put sweet potato's in too.

Step 17) Realize I used all the boiled eggs for the deviled eggs and have none for the gravy.  Put on some to boil and start the gravy.

Step 18) Wait for chicken to bake and eat a couple of rolls because I'm starving. Set out plates, etc for dinner. Open the can of cranberry and see its gone bad. At this point I'm no longer worried about it... Give me CHICKEN!  Toss it out in the compost pile.  Finish up the gravy. Check the clock. Almost time.... Check chicken and see that it is nowhere near done. It's going to be another hour. <sigh>

Step 19) Spend some quality time with Mars and hand him another roll. Talk about all the things we are thankful for this year, and how blessed we are to be here.

Step 20) Dinner is finally ready.  Give thanks for all we have been blessed with this past year and eat till I'm about to pop.

In looking back, I realized that all this could have been a whole lot easier with at least SOME planning on my part. But I have to say that if nothing else it was a memorable Thanksgiving Dinner. Everything worked out and that's really all that matters in the end. It was still one of the best Thanksgiving's I've ever had.


                         ~~~~~~  Hey ... I'm Just Sayin' ...  ~~~~~~

22 comments:

  1. I remember when I read this last year. I still get a good chuckle out of it. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SFG I figured it couldn't hurt to remind myself I'd be better off if I planned at least some of it before hand. Time will tell if it works or not!
      Happy Thanksgiving!!!

      Delete
  2. I think the timer should be your best friend this year too, Sci ...I know it's MY best friend when I'm cooking a big meal! I know this year's feast will be just as yummy as last year's, but I hope it's just a wee bit less chaotic for you! After all, it's Thanksgiving.

    ~HB

    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. LOL HB!!! I don't know what I'd be able to destroy....errr ...I mean burn to a crisp without my timer.I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful and all goes smoothly!

      Happy Thanksgiving to you n YeOldFurt!!

      Delete
  3. I smiled when I read your post. For those of us who do a lot of cooking we do have occasional missteps. One year we had 14 people over for Thanksgiving and as all the food was going on the table I suddenly realized I had forgot to make mashed potatoes. lol Of course I did remember the gravy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is... that things like your missing potato's will become fodder for future Thanksgiving conversations!
      Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours from me n mine!

      Delete
  4. Sci - i think that you just jinxed the crap out of me - dang gurl! i was going to do a post in about an hour about how we are celebrating American Thanksgiving today, instead of tomorrow or on the weekend, because it is going to be super nice out for the next few days and we want to be out on the boat in the river. i was going to put in my post something like "last year we had a ScifiChick kind of Thanksgiving and i am praying that this year it will be less ScifiChick and more Gordon Ramsay" - bahahahahahah! which is basically what i said in last year's American Thanksgiving post - remember? our first Thanksgiving on our land last year was a dismal failure and i wasn't going to post about it until i read your post last year. and reading your post last year gave me the impetus to write about our failed Thanksgiving dinner.

    so now here i am, drinking my coffee, waking up, getting ready to do up the turkey and all the fixings and the first blog that shows up on my blog list is yours. with this post.

    gurl - i feel jinxed. bahahahahahahah! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kymber I swear I didn't jinx you. Just listen to how I've got it figured ok? I thought that if I reminded everyone just how "interesting" things can become if you don't have plan. (how do ya like the way I turned that one into a prepper plan?)Funny thing is that I was thinking about you guys when I decided to redo this post. I figured motivation was needed on my part this year.
      As to being jinxed... Are you REALLY sure you want to be out in a boat on Thanksgiving?????? LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Hey... I'm Just Sayin'...
      Love ya Girl and give that dreamy guy of yours a big hug.

      Delete
    2. bahahahahaha! i put up a post and linked to you. so far everything is looking pretty good. it's a gorgeous day out there, we ate some giblet soup, the bird is stuffed and in the oven and things seem like they are coming together!

      oh ya - we'll be out on the river for sure - bahahahahah! can't wait actually!

      i probably won't be on the computer for the next few days - due to being out in the boat - bahahahah - so i will say now: when we say Grace and give thanks today before our meal...we will be thinking of all of the wonderful friendships that we have made through blogging. and you and Mars will be high on the list!

      much love to you guys eh! your friend,
      kymber
      (jam appreciated the hug! and sends one back! give your dreamboat a hug from me!)
      (see how i worked the word "boat" in again? bahahahahahah!)

      Delete
  5. Well, on the positive side you will never forget your first Thanksgiving in your new home! Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know you have a point there Kati, It sure will be one of those Thanksgivings that get talked about and laughed about years from now. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all yours!

      Delete
  6. Wow, as exhausting and frustrating that was for you, it does sound pretty funny. And speaking of funny, for a few moments I had to stop and take a breath because I though it was Thanksgiving TODAY & I had a hot flash because I'm NOT ready yet!! Whew, thank goodness it's only Wednesday. Speaking of which, I need to get MY pumpkin pie started!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMBOOOO Sorry for the near heart attack. Think of it this way... I got you wide awake there for a second!
      Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the funny re-post. Enjoy your day w/Mars & have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to a wonderful Thanksgiving to you and yours!!

      Delete
  8. Yes, plan & Organize. I made 2 of everything ahead of time this year. We have enough turkey and dressing for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. My rolls are rising now and I made 2 pumpkin cream cheese cake rolls last night. Follow my posts on Econobusters.com and the facebook page Econobusters with Molly Green. I talk about planning, organizing, saving money and DIY a lot!
    I love your blog.
    I'll keep reading.
    Amy Wingfield -wingfieldfamily@gmail.com
    Econonbusters Editorial Assistant
    Econobusters.com - Molly Green Magazine (facebook)
    The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
    Read the current issue here FREE - www.TOSMagazine.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Next time, if you don't mind.... a bit less spam ok? That being said... that pumpkin cheesecake roll sounds yummy!

      Delete
  9. I was exhausted reading it! Happy Thanksgiving Sci and Mars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Mamma Bear!! Aren't you glad you only had to read it?? hehehehe

      Delete
  10. Hey Sweetie, Happy Thanksgiving to you and Mars.
    This year I did some planning and menu prep work myself.
    The pies are made, homemade rolls are baking in the oven as I
    type. In the early morning it will be time to start the turkey, stuffing,
    mash potatoes, sweet potatoes, gravy, then later the green beans. The
    cranberries I cooked and canned earlier this week.
    Don't work to hard, and enjoy your holiday meal.

    God Bless the United States of America.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy! It sounds like you've got it all laid out this year. I will confess that it's now Thanksgiving morning and I still have a ton of stuff to do. I'll make it though! Mars has the pit started and the brisket will be going on soon. We figure we won't have to cook for at least a week if this all goes off as planned! Wish us luck.
      Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

      Delete