I've tried dehydrating green beans once before using frozen green beans. They were ok but I wasn't super crazy about the way they re-hydrated. They are fine in soups or stews but not really to my liking for use as a side dish. OK, having said that I thought that I'd try once more and see if my results from fresh green beans would come out any better.
I "snapped" the green beans and washed them well. Then I blanched them in smallish portions for 5 or 6 minutes and drained out the water. Then I put them onto my drying trays, careful not to crowd them in the trays. I set the temperature to my "veggie" setting and let them dry. About 5 hours later I checked the beans and rotated my trays. At this point they were drying well but still needed more time in the dryer. I let them go another 4 hours and they were done. I let them cool on the trays and then put them in a jar. I let them set for 24 hours and checked them again to make sure they were completely dry. I took out a small portion for my experiment and then I vacuum sealed the rest in a quart jar.
I boiled a small pan of water and tossed the handful of green beans in it to let it rehydrate. I was really hoping that this time my results would be different than the frozen beans. Unfortunately they weren't. They seem to be kind of tough. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong but I've got a feeling that's just the way they are when re-hydrated. So now I have a nice batch of dried green beans to use in soups or stews but I don't think I'll be drying many more of them this year.
I've really got to get to work on an outdoor canning area. It's already getting way to hot to do in the house and the canning season is just now heading into full gear. I have a feeling I'm getting ready to have fresh beans coming out of my ears. The bush green beans have already yielded 14 quarts and the pole beans are getting ready to start producing too. Not to mention the "magic" beans, Dragon beans and the Cherokee Trail of Tears.