Thursday, March 4, 2010

Homemade Tortillas

I tried my hand at making tortilla's.   We both love tortillas and I can't just run to the store to pick them up anymore.  So if we want them I am going to have to make them.  They came out pretty good for a first effort. A bit stiffer than I wanted but I'll try adding a bit more lard next time and just lightly cook them the first time.

 On another note,  Pioneer Living has received a grant to do plasticulture on an acre of their land.  How cool is that!

What is Plasticulture?

Simply put, plasticulture is the combination of two words, plastics and agriculture. It is defined as the use of plastics in plant and animal agriculture. It is a multi-billion dollar industry, and it is worldwide in scope. These plastic products have numerous purposes. In short, plastics make agriculture more productive and efficient by cutting costs and saving time. They also conserve precious natural resources, such as water, nutrients, fossil fuels, and many forms of energy, especially sunlight. In some cases, plastic can be used to limit sunlight and retain moisture, especially in arid regions. Plasticulture also reduces competition from invasive weeds and insects.

  I found some pictures that might give you a better idea than I am able to do here.

It been  a beautiful day.  Sunshine and temperatures in the 60's.  The guys worked on removing trees from the field where the new pasti-culture will be installed.  Everything has to be ready to go in two weeks so they have been hard at it.  I still can barely wrap my mind around just how huge this garden is going to be.  Looks like its going to be one heck of a summer!

8 comments:

  1. Home made tortillas are so yummy! A couple of tricks that might help:

    1. After you make the dough, let it sit for an hour if you can, it makes it easier to roll.

    2. After you take them off the griddle, immediately place them in between towels or a tortilla warmer. Keep stacking them. They need the steam from each other to soften up.

    There is a great recipe for tortillas on allrecipes.com
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Whole-Wheat-Flour-Tortillas/Detail.aspx

    Read the comments for different variations.

    I wish I could figure out a way to make them round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some mighty fine looking tortillas. When I was younger... (can I still say "younger" or do I have to say "young?" - not ready to go there yet), my ex mother-in-law, who was the tortilla-making queen, taught me how to make them, and tamales, too. I wish I could remember how. Only problem was my ex-father-in-law said my tortillas looked like states... California, Texas, Florida... never could make them round.

    I'm so excited for you on your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I think your tortillas look very good, makes me feel brave enough to try them myself. Found an easy recipe for hot dog and hamburg buns that only take na hour, so no more having to plan ahead and getthem when I go into town, now tortillas too!
    Interesting about the plastic...I'll read up on it. sounds like a good way to utilize something that might go into the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tortillas look good Sci!

    The garden sounds like it's going to be one heck of an adventure. What fun you're going to have, being able to see all that plasticulture and how it works right up close and personal.

    I am still so excited for you and your new adventure. :)

    Hugs to y'all
    ~Fel~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Them tortillas look GREAT, Lady-- and so does that HUGE coming garden area!!!
    I'll be looking in to the plasticulture thingie... thanks for the heads-up!!1

    Slainte!

    C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nummy! homemade tortillas are so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for stopping by! Those dang tortillas took me over an hour and a half to make. I just hope experience makes it go a bit faster!
    The Experiment, Thanks for stopping in and thanks for the tips.
    Ginger, its still "younger" ok? And you cracked me up with the tortilla states!
    HerbalPagen, I can't even imagine you not being brave! Anyone who can make homemade hamburger buns can surely handle tortillas!
    Cygnus, I will be sure to take lots of pictures! There's more garden coming!
    Fel, thanks for stopping in! It's going to be an interesting ride my friend.
    Phelan, thanks, who knows what I might actually have to do next. HerbalPagen has me thinking about buns now AND I'M NOT READY!!!!
    LOL

    ReplyDelete